Transfer lots of site passwords from Safari

Options
wnlight
wnlight
Community Member

If 1Password can easily transfer lots of site passwords from Safari, I'll buy it. I had the trial for v4, but it could not transfer.

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @wnlight,

Safari passwords are stored in the OS X Keychain. And there is a converter that will allow you to export the Keychain data, convert it, and import it into 1Password. Dozens of people have used the process successfully. You can download the 1Password 5.x free trial from the AgileBits webstore and give the process a try.

• wnlight
    wnlight
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your quick reply, MrC. I installed version 4 for Mac last year but never used it because all my passwords were in the OS. Do you think that I might be able to get a new trial? I don't know how to post that question to AgileBits.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @wnlight,

I don't know the answer to the new trial aspect - perhaps you can just download version 5 and the trial will be reset due to the change in versions. In any event, by adding the AgileBits names below with the @ character, they'll be CC'd (AgileBits responds to all the posts anyway, but this will bump the thread for a response, so someone should answer shortly).

@Megan, @MikeT, @littlebobbytables, @Drew_AG

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @wnlight,

You may be in luck, because there was actually a bug in 1Password 4 for Mac where, in certain cases, an unregistered/trial copy would not expire. Therefore, you can most likely start the 30 day trial period over again. You can get it from our download site.

Even if it recognizes that you previously used a trial of 1Password, that might not be a problem, as it will let you add up to 20 total items. Therefore I think it should still work with the converter script - although I will defer to @MrC on that one, as he's the expert on those converters. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2015
    Options

The converter just creates a single 1PIF of all the converted items, so as long as 1Password imports some or all, that's probably a sufficient trial.

• wnlight
    wnlight
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I was able to use the converter and upload my passwords as Drew and MrC suggested even though my trial has expired. So, it looks like I will buy in.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

A good day!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news, thanks for letting us know how it worked out, @wnlight! :)

If you have more questions or need help with 1Password, please let us know. We're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.