Syncing ipad and mac with wifi [resolved by removing Unicode characters from computer name]

Options
venos
venos
Community Member
edited February 2015 in iOS

After the newest updates on 1pass on mac (5.1) and on ios (5.2) i can not sync my ipad with my mac.i opened the apps and was no sync.i stopped on ipad the wifi sync,i reboot it -and my mac- and tried to enable again wifi sync on ipad.Mac is not found....refreshing the list on ipad also does nothing.
.devices are on the same wifi network and updated.

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @venos,

sorry for the troubles you are having with wifi sync. Could you please check if the Wi-Fi server on the Mac is enabled? You can find that setting in the Preferences of 1Password for Mac, there look at the Wi-Fi Server tab. Is the checkbox for the server activated?

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

@Winnie‌ thanks for your fast reply.
    Yes it is checked.i have checked and uncheck it many times (hoping to solve the issue)

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@venos do you have any firewall or anitvirus software installed on your Mac? This could interfere with the sync.

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

No.none of them installed.only firewall open on mac (security and privacy--firewall).but i have it open and before the updates of 1password apps and wifi sync was working flawlessly.
    Now i see that apple released ios 8.1.3'and osx 10.10.2 but im afraid to update because maybe some other issues will came up....

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @venos,

You mentioned that you tried restarting your iPad and Mac, but have you restarted your router at all? If not, try that to see if it makes a difference.

If the Mac still doesn't show up in 1Password for iOS, it could be a firewall issue. Even though it worked previously, can you please try temporarily disabling the firewall to see if it makes a difference:

• Open the System Preferences app on the Mac
    • Select Security & Privacy
    • Choose Firewall
    • Turn the Firewall off

Now try setting up Wi-Fi sync again. Does that help at all?

If it still won't work when the firewall is off, try creating/using an ad hoc Wi-Fi network: https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Tutorials/adhoc-network.html

Does Wi-Fi sync work over the ad hoc network?

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG‌
    The first thing i did was to reboot modem and i didn't write it previously.anyway i done it again with no result.also i deactivate firewall and again no result.i create an ad hoc,connect iPad but no result again.
    i have to mention that yosemite doesnt allow to set a password at the ad hoc network as the link with the guide that you provide me.i searched the web and its mentioned here :http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58618

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

Some other things to mention (to be more helpful or confuse the situation :blush: )
    On the mac i have another user account (my wifes) who also has 1password and owns an ipad mini (1st gen).i just check it and the wifi sync problem also exists.i didnt reset her wifi option (for the mac) on her ipad so i choose 1password on her ipad mini to "sync now" but a message pop's up saying that the mac was not found etc.i updated her ipad mini to ios 8.1.3 and no luck.
    I own an ipad air 2 and the mac is a macbook pro retina late 2013 13".

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

I wonder if anybody else has the same problem with me.no sync among mac and ipad (or iphone) with wifi.ive just updated mac on 10.10.2 and ipad on ios 8.1.3.the problem of course remains.thank God i dont have to store any new passwords for this period of time because i will have to write them an each device separately....

• Something else to note is the Bonjour renaming issue that exists in Yosemite:

1. On your Mac, go to System Preferences and click Sharing
    2. See if the computer name doesn't have "(2)" (or another number) after it. If so, correct it, and click on Edit and remove the -2 (or other number) there.

See if that helps. If not, try the sync one more time and then I'd like to ask you to create some Diagnostics Reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/diagnostics-report

—iOS—
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/4/en/topic/send-us-your-diagnostic-report
    (you can ignore the part about filling in the code in the subject line)

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

@hayesk thanks for the reply.for the iOS report i have to generate a report through the iOS 1password app for wifi syncing or should i just hit the "send diagnostics" option?

• @venos, the Send Diagnostics option is fine.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @venos,

To send a diagnostics report for 1Password 5 for iOS, simply open 1Password and go to Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Send Diagnostics. That will create an email message with the diagnostics report as an attachment. It will help us if you can copy/paste a link to this thread in that email, along with your forum username.

Does that answer your question? If I misunderstood, please let us know.

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

both files were sent now.
    thanks a lot.
    i realise how busy you are so i am patient for waiting the solution.i believe this files will help to find the issue (not only for me but for others who might have this issue).
    Have a nice evening

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @venos,

I took a quick look in our system, but I was unable to find any emails from the address associated with your forum account. If you sent them from a different email address, it should be no problem and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. But if you'd like to make sure we've received them, please feel free to send me a private message with the email address you used to send the reports, and I'll be happy to track them down. Thanks!

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@Drew_AG I've sent you a pm.yes i sent an email from another email....
    oops...
    use any of them to reply

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi @venos,

I just replied to your private message, but also wanted to follow up here to confirm that we received your diagnostics reports. I updated the email thread with details from this discussion, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible. We'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Thanks! :)

ref: LYC-47126-852

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

thank you!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1:

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if i am allowed to do it but i want to express my thanks and my appreciation to Kyle from the 1password support team and of course i want to thank the whole 1password support team for solving my issue!!!!!
    really appreciated!!!!
    Thanks a lot guys and keep up the good work.efharisto (ευχαριστω) we say in Greece.
    The problem was on my macbook's name (system preferences---sharing---mac's name) which had a word in greek and this prevented my mac from syncing with my iPad and vice versa (the language of my mac is english,only this tiny word on my mac's name was the only greek word.....)
    And this was the issue.i change it ,restart and issue solved.
    Thanks again!!!!!!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for saying so @venos! And thanks for the update. :)

• venos
    venos
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff it is the least i can do....
    :)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Happy Syncing venos :smile:

This discussion has been closed.