Filling on Computershare simply redirects back to the login page

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Computershare - filling login details on two separate consecutive web pages.

Comments

• Bill_W
    Bill_W
    Community Member
    Options

G'day.

I have been setting up logins for my father over a shared vault for the Computershare site. I have set up multi page logins for the site that work as expected (loads values and moves to next page) on both my Windows PC and Mini Mac and using Chrome or Safari.

The same logins (from our shared vault) don't work on Dad's iMac. Specifically, when Dad attempts to login, the user login page enters details and clears itself. The password page sends you back to the user page. The only way he can get past the issue is to cut and paste values and manually move to the next page.

His 1PW is from the Mac store and he is using Safari.

Bill

• MikeT
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @Bill_W,

That's unusual since both of you are using Safari on OS X, it should work the same way. Can you tell me if you guys are using the same OS X version as well as Safari?

What about the version of the 1Password app and the 1Password extension in Safari?

If we can find what's different between both setups (excluding hardware as it is not generally an issue), it can help us reproduce this.

• Bill_W
    Bill_W
    Community Member
    Options

Hi.

I have been away for a few months so haven't been able to follow this up. The symptoms remain as described. We are both fully updated on the App store. On his machine, the 1PW 'about' screen says 1Password, version 5.1 (5.10027) Mac Store. Mine says 1Password 5, version 5.1 (5.10035) Agile Web. He is using Safari.

The logins work as expected on my Windows Laptop, iPads, and my Mini Mac.

r's

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bill_W,

So far, everything sounds good, so we'll need to dig a bit deeper:

• What is the version number for Safari on both computers?
    • What is the version number for the 1Password browser extension? This can be found in Safari's preferences, under the Extensions tab.

Just to confirm that the vaults are in sync and he isn't using an out-dated copy of the Login, let's run a test:

• Create a test entry on your Mac ("Test, Me") and add some data
    • Create a test entry on your Father's Mac ("Test, Dad") and add some data
    • Do both of these entries end up on the other machine?

Thanks for helping us to track this down!

• Bill_W
    Bill_W
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

G'day Megan,

We are both on Safari v 8.0.3 and 1PW extension 4.2.5. I am absolutely confident the vaults are in sync as the data works, it is just the issue with the automation between pages.

regards,

Bill

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm not saying it's ideal at all, just trying to figure out what is going on. If you edit the item and set the submit field to Never submit then what happens if your dad attempts to use the Login? It should fill the two fields and then when he clicks on the submit button does it behave exactly as before or does it log him in?

The only real difference between the Agile Web Store (AWS) and Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) versions, in terms of filling, is a small script we can't install due to Apple sandboxing. I don't know if it would make any difference but here is a link to the appropriate thread, Auto-submit not working in Mac App Store version of 1Password after 4.2 extension update.

It's easy enough to remove afterwards if it doesn't help although it's presence shouldn't have any real negative consequences either (your machine has the script as you're an AWS customer).

• Bill_W
    Bill_W
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

G'day,
    In the end I have disabled the auto submit so Dad can log in to his website by having 1PW load the data and letting him click next as each page is loaded. So he is happy in that regard.

Can you confirm what the auto submit patch does? Does it set 'never submit' for all web pages, or attempt to fix so problem pages work. As an interim step, I had him attempt to login (on the original login data) after we installed the patch, but it appeared to have no impact on the original problem. (As we did this over the phone, I will check the patch was loaded ok when I visit him next, but I am pretty sure we got it loaded).

Just to refresh, Computershare uses several pages for its login process. It requires a user name on the first page and a password on the second. If the login is attempted from a previously unauthorised computer it asks a security question on a second paged before going onto the final password page. When Dad attempts to login, the user login page enters details and clears itself. The password page sends you back to the user page. The only way he can get past the issue is to cut and paste values and manually move to the next page (or as we have now done disable auto submit).

Tks

Bill

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bill_W,

Well at least setting submit to Never submit is a workaround that your dad seems happy with. I'm sorry it isn't as straightforward as how it works for you though.

All the patch is really doing is adding a file on your Mac that exists in the AWS version of 1Password that we can't install due to sandboxing in the MAS version. As you can see from the thread I linked you to, the file is extremely simply and all it contains is a single line of AppleScript (see below)

tell application "System Events" to keystroke return

Now personally I don't find a need for it but it's one of the few subtle differences I could think of that might explain why it was working for you and not your dad. We can continue looking into this oddity if you like, it depends if you're happy with never submit being a solution or not.

This discussion has been closed.