4.2b7 in-app filling without 1Password keyboard?

johan98
johan98
Community Member
edited February 2015 in Android

Is the new in-app filling feature in 4.2b7 still available on Lollipop without activating a custom keyboard? I didn't install the update yet because I wouldn't like to disable SwiftKey, which probably provides many more features than the 1Password keyboard (including support for multiple languages). If I would need to switch to the 1Password keyboard, I would consider that as a serious feature downgrade compared to the previous beta version.

Comments

• fatboyw
    fatboyw
    Community Member

Although I am not on lollipop, I see the same issue where I need to give up my favourite keyboard or having to switch keyboard around.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

The previously released, Lollipop specific, accessibility based filling is still there. The 1Password keyboard is an additional option for those having problems with the accessibility filling or who haven't got Lollipop yet.

• johan98
    johan98
    Community Member

Okay, thank you for the clarification.

• johan98
    johan98
    Community Member

Looks like that isn't correct. I installed the newest version on my Nexus 9 (with Lollipop) and I am only able to fill logins using the 1Password keyboard, the 1Password button that was available in the previous version does not show anymore.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    edited February 2015

@johan98
    Looks like it's there to me:

Is it turned on?

• johan98
    johan98
    Community Member

Yes, I have the accessibility service turned on. But I am not able to fill logins unless I also enable the keyboard and use the button on the keyboard.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Ah, and my keyboard button is not working and I don't have Lollipop so accessibility is off. I wonder if the two settings have been linked somehow. Everything I've read from Agilebits indicates that these two filling options should not be interdependent so I would guess that this is a bug.

@mverde, @saad any thoughts?

• saad
    edited February 2015

@RichardPayne The 1Password icon that would hover above password fields was in our previous implementation. In our latest beta, we scratched that idea and implemented a custom keyboard for filling and an accessibility service for detecting login fields. The accessibility service is now supported on Android OS running 4.1 and later, and can be used in combination with the keyboard to perform automatic filling.

After enabling the accessibility service, you will see the 1Password icon on the keyboard glow blue when login fields are detected. Tapping this will allow you to select the login you want to perform filling with. If you prefer keeping this service disabled, you can long press the 1Password icon to select your login item and then perform manual filling using the options available just above the keyboard.

• johan98
    johan98
    Community Member

But could you offer both options - the custom keyboard and the floating 1Password button - so that people who need to use another keyboard (because the 1Password keyboard doesn't support different languages or simply because they like SwiftKey better) can still use the old way?

• saad
    edited February 2015

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for being part of our beta family. Your feedback is very important to us and I have passed on your comments to our development team. With all of the changes that we made to filling in our latest beta, we posted a sticky with answers to some of the questions that you might have. It also provides some insight to the reasoning behind this approach and what advantages this brings for our users.

We are not asking our users to switch away from their default keyboards. Instead, we ask our users to switch over to the 1Password keyboard whenever they need to perform login filling. Of course, if you choose to use 1Password as your default keyboard, we don't mind at all! But to clarify, we are not trying to force this to be your default keyboard.

Please do have a read through our sticky and as always, we love to hear your thoughts on it. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.