Title, URL and username encrypted?

Options

Hello. I would like to know if in my vault file the title, URL and username and maybe other fields are encrypted? I mean, I know at least the passwords are encrypted when my vault is locked. But if someone manages to steal my vault file, would him be able to read in clear text my passwords titles for example? Or absolutely everything is encrypted? Thank you.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmetillon‌

Our keychain design is open for inspection. Have a read though our Agile Keychain Design article in our Security Knowledgebase for all of the details. The important part though is this:

...not all the information is encrypted. For example, the title of each entry (“Example Login”) and the location (“https://example.com/account/login”) are open. Having these open allows 1Password to organize your data and display it without suffering the performance hit of needing to decrypt every single item. All the sensitive information is stored in the encrypted section of the file.

As we move forward with 1Password, we've been developing a new database format that does encrypt all details, including the title and URL of each item. This database format is being rolled out slowly across all platforms.

I hope this helps!

• johnclay
    johnclay
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@megan Which platforms is this new format available on now? Any rough timeline for Mac support (like 2015, 2017, etc)?

Edit: So it's supported now, but disabled by default for Dropbox sync. And the link to manually switch over is broken on this page. Do you have instructions for switching over manually to OPVault?

https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/security/en/topic/opvault-design

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnclay,

Now you've posted your query in the 1Password 3 forum. Can I just ask what versions of 1Password you are running at the moment as the newer .opvault format won't work with 1Password 3 at all. If you're running 1Password 4 or newer we'll be able to assist.

• jmetillon
    jmetillon
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @littlebobbytables,

Do you mean it will never work for 1P 3 or we still need to wait for 1P 3 to support it? @Megan answer was not clear as does "this database format is being rolled out slowly across all platforms" mean it will be rolled out for 1P 3 also, or only for 1P 4 on all platforms?

Thank you.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jmetillon ,

I apologize for not being more clear earlier. We will be implementing .opvault in the latest version of 1Password. Re-designing the keychain is no simple feat, and we're just not able to make changes to legacy versions to read the new format.

I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.