Exporting to CSV

jayrusalem
jayrusalem
Community Member
edited February 2015 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

When I try to export my logins to CSV (I know, it's not secure... this is temporary), I only get options for Text or 1password Interchange on the menu. Where't the CSV option? I’m on version 3.8.22

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @jayrsalem,

I don't recall the interface for the 3.8 version. Are you going to be updating to a 4.x or 5.x version of 1Password, or have access to one? If so, you should use 1PIF to export and you can import into a newer 1Password. The CSV export for the Mac was enhanced in later versions; however, it still does not export all categories, so 1PIF is always the best bet if necessary.

Maybe you can describe what you're trying to accomplish?

• jayrusalem
    jayrusalem
    Community Member

I'm actually moving these passwords pver to a Windows machine, to Norton's IdentitySafe...I paid for the general Norton security product on Windowws and got it free. I don't need to buy 1Password there, and the changes in version 4 for the Mac don't really help with the way I use it. I don't need to spend the extra money for features that I'll rarely use... so I'm just looking for a simple export into CSV. When I export it as text and then try to convert it in Excel, it doesn't work...

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Sorry, I don't have a definitive answer for you. I think the CSV exporter was added in 1Password 4. Perhaps someone from AgileBits will be able to add more info and clarify.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jayrusalem,

I'm afraid 1Password 3 for Mac doesn't have an option to export to CSV. However, MrC is correct that CSV export was added to version 4 (specifically, version 4.3), so as long as you're using Mac OS X 10.8 or higher, you can use a free trial of 1Password 4 or 5 in order to export your data to CSV. You can download the free trial from our download site (if you're using 10.8 or 10.9, you can download version 4 from the "Legacy" section at the bottom of that site).

When you open 1Password 4 or 5 for the first time, it will most likely find your 1Password 3 data. If for some reason it doesn't, it's very easy to migrate your 1Password 3 data to version 4/5. You could use Dropbox sync, or export/import using the .1pif format. If you need help to do that, just let us know. Once your data is in version 4/5, you'll be able to export it to CSV.

Now on the other hand, if your Mac is running OS X 10.7 or lower, you won't be able to install 1Password 4 or 5. In that case, if you export your data as a text file, it will be tab-delimited. You should be able to find a tool (perhaps on macupdate.com) that can convert that to CSV.

I hope this helps, but we're here for you if you have more questions! :)

• jayrusalem
    jayrusalem
    Community Member

Trial version... makes sense. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Glad we could resolve that for you @jayrusalem :smile: If you have any further questions let us know.

This discussion has been closed.