does v.5.2 sycn with dropbox at starting app ?

Options
noct
noct
Community Member
edited February 2015 in iOS

I m using 5.2.v of 1password on iphone6. I sign in dropbox account in app. does it sync when I open app automatically or what?
do I need an extra backup manualy for my data in 1password? is it enough?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @noct,

If you have 1Password for iOS set up to sync with Dropbox then unlocking your vault will initiate a sync check yes, that's one of the main points where 1Password will check to make sure it is synchronised with whatever source you've set.

I would personally probably feel a little uneasy if that was my only backup. For me, my vaults are on both my iPhone, my Mac and the Mac is backed up via TimeMachine to my NAS. In the event of a fire or theft at home I would hope to still have my iPhone, if my iPhone was stolen it is more likely to happen outside and I have my Mac.

1Password for iOS allows you to create a backup manually from within the app at Settings > Advanced > Create Backup. Now the app will only hold a single backup as space is at a premium on your average iOS device and I don't think our customers would appreciate the same backup policy as we have on the Mac. If you have a desktop with iTunes you can copy that backup from your iPhone and store it elsewhere. I believe creating the backup will mean the backup file is in any backup of your iOS device, either via iTunes again or iCloud.

It might also be of interest to know that the iOS backup file is identical in format to the Mac so if you ever needed to you could restore the backup on a Mac to access your vault.

I hope that helps somewhat but if it raises more questions than it answers please do ask away and we'll do our best to help.

This discussion has been closed.