Can't select words in Notes after 5.2 upgrade

Options
grudek
grudek
Community Member

Hi, after upgrade to the 5.2 great and heavily used feature disappeared, I can't select separate words in the Notes section anymore. I can just select whole note that is useless for me. So wight now only one possibility is to go to the Edit, and only in Edit i can do selection. That is very dangerous thus I can chage something unintentionally. Is it bug? Or feature of possibility to select words in notes without Edit, just disappeared in newest version?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, this seems to apply not only to secure notes but to any note fields in 1P 5.2 for iOS. You can select only the entire field for copying (unless, as you say, you're editing). It's not a problem for me but I can see it might be for others. It looks as if it's a conscious design decision but let's wait to hear from someone from AgileBits.

Stephen

• Good afternoon, @grudek. Thank you for taking the time to write in. The direction we took with secure notes in 1Password 5.2 was a very conscious one, though we didn't set out to eliminate the ability to select individual words - that was just a side effect. Can you give me some more insight into how you use secure notes within 1Password? What kinds of data are you storing there that you are attempting to copy out?

• biljward
    biljward
    Community Member
    Options

Hello,
    When logging in to certain sites while using 1Browser I'm required to answer security questions. For these security questions I randomly generate passwords for the answer to make it more secure. I add these security questions with the applicable "answers" in the notes section of the login. However, when I click in the notes section to copy and paste one of the security question "answers," it will only let me copy the entire section (which is about 9 lines long). About 3 weeks ago I didn't have this issue. I'm using an Ipad 2 with iOS 8. Please help because this is frustrating.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@biljward‌ I've merged your post with another thread which I suspect is on the same point. I've assumed you're using 1P 5.2 for iOS.

Stephen

• biljward
    biljward
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you and yes I'm using 1P 5.2. That's exactly my problem. Hopefully my explanation of how I use that section will help @MrRooni. I really would hate not being able to select individual words. I use it daily.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @biljward‌

Thanks so much for sharing your use case with us! Instead of storing security questions in the notes fields, I've found it very handy to store them as custom fields. Then I can mask the security answers behind a password field and easily tap to copy. Here's what they look like on my Mac (I don't have a screenshot of the screen on iOS handy):

This might make your daily life a little bit easier, but I'll be sure that our development team sees your feedback.

• biljward
    biljward
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan, that's a great tip. I just jumped on my iPad to check it out and am feeling like an even bigger goof. I don't see where there is an option to create a custom field on the iOS version. Is it something I have to do from my Mac?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @biljward‌

No need to feel like a goof, it might not be immediately obvious. To add custom fields on iOS, you'll want to tap 'Edit' on the entry and then scroll down to below the shiny new "Add new one-time password" option. You should see an "Add new section" option there. Tap to name your section and add all the custom fields your heart desires. :)

If you're seeing something different, please let me know!

• biljward
    biljward
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

@Megan‌ I see it. Awesome! I really appreciate your help. You made my day.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @biljward‌

I'm so glad that I was able to help! Please let me know if you have any other questions about 1Password - we're here for you! :)

• Doug Bradley
    Doug Bradley
    Community Member
    Options

Tip does not work for iPhone. Notes unusable. Cannot scroll to select a word or words. Please fix at best possible speed. This is a deal breaker for most of my use of 5.2 on iPhone. Love 1Password but cannot stay with it if this is not fixed soon.

• Ben
    Options

Hi Doug ( @Doug Bradley ),

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience. I'll be sure to let our developers know that the problems with Secure Notes are a top issue.

Thanks.

• abernathy
    abernathy
    Community Member
    Options

The new notes selection behavior makes the app nearly unusable for me. I'm a consultant with dozens of clients. I keep a secure note for each client with their usernames, passcodes, etc, etc. Wouldn't be practical to use password items and custom fields - the old secure notes worked perfectly. Please bring old behavior back so I can keep using 1Password!

• I always have used Secure Notes for many important texts, and it was always easy to select and copy any small section of that without entering Edit mode. Now to select a snippet of a note we have to use Edit to access the text, risking the integrity of it, specially when we had no other intention than just copying, NOT editing the note. Please reconsider that removed feature. The way it is now, it's like having a jpeg of a text, instead of a useful, selectable note. (Sorry for repeating this post, I thought it was relevant to the topic). Thanks.

• biljward
    biljward
    Community Member
    Options

@MrRooni @Megan @bwoodruff I've had a chance to go through my logins since Megan first helped me and I have to agree with these later posts that it ends up feeling more like a burden. Using the notes section was so much easier for putting information in and copying and pasting out. I would really like for the agile bits team to reconsider the very conscious direction taken.

• Good morning everyone. Thank you for your very thoughtful feedback on this change that we've made. We will be sure to revisit it for an upcoming update.

• Sukhster
    Sukhster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I have gone through Registering for the Discussion Board, so that we can increase the support for re-deciding the Design Decision to not allow the Secure Notes to be editted, rather than only allowing them to be 1) Copy the Secure Notes into unsecure iOS Notes, and then use that to select specific words 2) Delete the iOS Note . . . . . . .. . .. . and not be able to modify any text BEFORE v5.2 came out.

. . . l have yet to figure out how to navigate to the middle part of a Note, and then edit text . . . .. is it 1) Copy the entire note to unsecure iOS Notes 2) Make the change 3) Copy and paste the text back 4) Delete unsecure iOS Note?

I have recommended 1Password to a number of family and friends, and recent recommendations have ended up asking why you are not able to edit a Secure Note like a iOS Note. I have been a 1Password user for quite some time, but l am currently considering migrating to another application.

When is this Design Feature going to be corrected?

• Good news everyone, we are in the process of correcting this misstep. A number of changes have already made it into beta versions of the app and you should expect to see them corrected with our next major release.

Thank you for your continuing feedback. Without vocal folks like you 1Password wouldn't be the app it is today (or will be once we get this secure notes things fixed ;))

• Pixelologist
    Pixelologist
    Community Member
    Options

Sounds like you're already well on top of this but I'd still like to add my voice because I only just discovered yesterday that I'm no longer able to edit one of my lengthier secure notes. It's one in which I keep important work-related passwords and other info and I've never had a problem editing it on my iphone until v.5.2. As things currently stand, I can select and copy the entire note only.......or, I can click 'edit' AND ONLY GET ACCESS TO A VERY SMALL SECTION OF THE ENTIRE NOTE. I can't scroll up to the top of the note - I only have access to a bit of it near the bottom of the note and only the part that fits on the screen; nothing beyond the top or bottom borders of the editing area.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Pixelologist,

Hopefully the next release will contain a few fixes everybody here can appreciate :smile:

• Harald13
    Harald13
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem as Pixelologist. Editing of longer notes is almost impossible because only a small part is visible and editable without breaking your fingers.

Because not being able to edit a note easily I added a section ("Abschnittsname" in my German version) and a password field for this section to an old note. Worked fine but when syncing with my OS 10.10 (iPassword version 5.1) only the notes are synced but not the section and the password field of the section. Is this a bug of the new section thingie or did I do something wrong?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Harald13 ,

I'll let our developers know that you're excited to see this bug in Secure Notes squashed as soon as possible.

Because not being able to edit a note easily I added a section ("Abschnittsname" in my German version) and a password field for this section to an old note. Worked fine but when syncing with my OS 10.10 (iPassword version 5.1) only the notes are synced but not the section and the password field of the section.

Sections in Secure Notes is actually a new feature. Previously, Secure Notes were just a block of text, and we're working on making them more useful by allowing fancy things like sections and custom fields. Unfortunately, this feature hasn't quite made it into Mac yet, so you won't be able to see those fields until a future release for Mac.

So, you're not doing anything wrong, iOS is just a bit ahead of Mac here. I would suggest storing this password in another item for the time being. Would a 'Password' item fit the case here?

• Harald13
    Harald13
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan ,
    thanks for the explanation why the stuff is not synced to the Mac version yet. Already helped myself with the storage of an additional 'Password' item.

Nevertheless, when adding new features like the section stuff in secure notes there should be at least a warning that information in this section will not be synced and will be "lost" or not visible on other platform versions. People rely on 1Password for saving important info and one key feature in my opinion is that it is possible to sync to other devices. It's not feasible to check each entry after syncing and in a scenario with different platforms valuable information can be lost quite easily. Sorry, just my two cents .....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Harald13 ,

Thanks so much for the feedback here. New features like this are always tricky because we offer 1Password across so many platforms, it's nearly impossible to release a feature across all of them at once. In cases like this, I can certainly see how it would be useful to advise users - both of the new features, and it's current limitations.

The real question then becomes: what is the best way to educate users? We do try to include as much useful information as possible in our release notes with each version, but I'll be honest, before I worked here, I never bothered to read a single app's release notes, so I'm not sure how useful they are for educating the average user. Pop-up notifications can be useful for really important changes, but if they disrupt a user's workflow, the odds are that they will get dismissed without being read ... additionally, they must be used extremely sparingly to avoid completely frustrating users. Where would you look for information such as this about new features?

• Sukhster
    Sukhster
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan,

I am glad that this issue is getting resolved. Is there an ETA for when the fixed app will be available for download?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Sukhster,

I've responded to your similar question in the other thread.

This discussion has been closed.