Database size much smaller when copied to new vault

Options
kallovsky
kallovsky
Community Member

Hi,

I'm using 1password 5.1 on Mac OS 10.10.2 and syncing via dropbox. I had the impression that my primary database is somehow bloated – so I copied all items of the primary vault to a new vault. The 1Password.agilekeychain file on dropbox has 24MB (240 items), the new vault has 4.7MB on dropbox.

Any idea why this happens? And how I can get the file size of the primary vault down (deleting all items doesn't bring it down much!)?

Thanks!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kallovsky,

So one possible cause might be related to your Trash. Just like OS X we don't delete items completely but instead use our own Trash, just in case you should ever make a mistake. Do you have many items in there? I ask as they are stored in the vault and the .agilekeychain. It would seem reasonable to assume that you didn't copy any of those across when you performed your experiment (assuming there is anything in there of course).

There is also a function that may (or may not) make some small difference. In 1Password's drop down menus you will find an option at Help > Tools > Optimize Database. The list of functions it performs isn't documented but it is possible one function may very well reduce the size of the .sqlite database file. Saying that though, I can't see how that would have a knock on effect with the .agilekeychain.

At the moment my strongest hunch is with the Trash. Let me know if that could indeed explain matters.

• kallovsky
    kallovsky
    Community Member
    Options

No, the trash is not the problem – I deleted all items in the trash beforehand! Also, I used Help > Tools > Optimize Database before!

In addition, I deleted all items in the primary vault (with emptying trash) and 1Password.agilekeychain still had over 20MB! Is there a way to start over, have a clean 1Password.agilekeychain and copy items back from my 5MB-vault?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kallovsky,

Fair enough. I have seen vault size explode just once or twice so we're not sure why it is but there is a way to resolve it. It will take a few steps I'm afraid and basically we're going to start over again on your Mac.

General Warning to all users. This is an advanced topic and you had better know exactly what you're doing. Your data is at risk if you don't.

Exporting your vault(s) to start over in 1Password 5.1 for Mac

It is assumed the that primary Mac will have a complete set of vaults that are on your other devices. If this is not the case please do not follow these steps.

1. Disable any syncing you are currently doing on all of your devices. In 1Password for Mac you want to enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Sync tab. Select each vault in turn from the list on the left hand side and change the drop down menu in the right hand side panel to None. Confirm you want to disable syncing and tick the Delete data from XXXX checkbox as you want the old sync data removed. For iOS devices you will want to open 1Password for iOS and enter the Settings page. From there you select the top option titled Vaults. For each vault in turn you want to touch the little blue i to the right of the vault name. The top entry on this next page will say Sync Service if you are syncing the vault, otherwise it will say Start Syncing. If it says Sync Service select that line to reach the required Sync page. At the bottom of this page you will see an option titled Disable Sync. Select and confirm you with to disable sync. See the image at the end of this post for the iOS screenshots.
    2. With sync disabled everywhere, open up 1Password for Mac and use the File > Export > All Items... on each vault you have. It is important the file format is set to 1Password Interchangeable Format (.1pif). This will result in a .1pif folder per vault.
    3. Follow the steps in our Starting Over guide. I have one exception. If you are a Mac App Store customer then after step 2.2 (where you've moved the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder I would also move the com.agilebits.onepassword-osx folder in ~/Library/Containers/.
    4. Follow the steps in our Running 1Password for the first time guide and create a new primary vault.
    5. From your primary vault create as many new secondary vaults as you require using 1Password > New Vault...
    6. With each vault active, import the .1pif file for that vault using File > Import... option. Selecting the .1pif folder (not the contents) will enable the Open button.
    7. With all .1pif files imported, check your vaults to ensure everything looks good.
    8. If all is correct move the .1pif folders to your Empty Trash and then use the Secure Empty option which you can find in Finder > Secure Empty Trash... We want to do this because .1pif data is unencrypted and so not safe to keep long term. You can delete the folders dragged to your desktop in step 3. although if you want to keep them for a little longer it isn't as bad because they are at least encrypted (although using your older encryption keys).
    9. Re-enable Syncing in the copy of 1Password where you created the fresh new vault. This sync data, be it iCloud or one of our own formats, .agilekeychain and .opvault, will have the new encryption keys from your fresh vault.
    10. Personally I'd then follow the Starting Over guide for all my other Macs and then follow the Getting started again on a new computer guide. For iOS devices running version 4 we have this Starting over guide, for version 5 users they can clear data and settings by using Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings. For both versions you can then follow the Existing 1Password user guide.

Screenshots of how to disable syncing in 1Password for iOS.

That would result in fresh vaults on all devices using the new sync data with the new encryption keys.

Please take the time to read all the steps thoroughly and make sure you feel happy about what it all entails. Any questions do please, please ask.

• kallovsky
    kallovsky
    Community Member
    Options

O.K. – I followed your recipe and it was successful – I ended up with a 4.7MB primary vault, down from 24MB! Thank you very much for your help!

One suggestion: I would add a warning in step 8 that if you are finally going to delete the old folder from ~/Library/Application Support/ you will also delete the backup folder inside! I would recommend to keep those backup files somewhere save...

Thanks again,

kallovsky

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kallovsky,

I'm happy to hear that helped, and your Primary vault is back to a normal size! Thanks for your feedback about step 8, I will ping @littlebobbytables to let him know. Keeping the backup files around is certainly a good idea! :)

If you need help with anything else, just let us know - we're here for you!

This discussion has been closed.