From web Store to App Store version

Options
giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Hi there, I have 1P 4.4.3 purchased on your web store, and I'd like to switch to the Apple store version.
Can you please advise how to switch?

Thanks

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You'll have to purchase a copy from Apple at the Mac App Store. Then follow these directions for Migrating to the Mac App Store version.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @giusep71,

Sorry but hawkmoth is correct. There is no way to mass migrate users from the Agile Web Store (AWS) to the Mac App Store (MAS) one. We can go the other way as we have more control over AWS but MAS simply doesn't offer such functionality.

For newer users realising this we do offer a 30 day refund period but your purchase was slightly further back. If this is regarding iCloud Sync support I take it you've considered Dropbox and Wi-Fi sync but have discounted them?

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

I understand, thanks for your help. Yes it is regarding the iCloud Sync.

Are you aware of any discount offering for 1P coming up?

• Ben
    Options

Are you aware of any discount offering for 1P coming up?

I am not, but we are not typically made aware in advance.

Thanks.

Ben

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

You say you have more control over the Agile Web Store version. Are there any hidden cons in the Mac App Store version?

Thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @giusep71,

Let's see if I can give a good breakdown of the two options.

Agile Web Store (AWS)

• - As of 1Password 5, can no longer use iCloud Sync.
    • + We can offer upgrade discounts or Mac & Windows bundles.
    • + We can migrate a user from MAS to AWS.
    • + We can offer a trial so users can try out 1Password for Mac or Windows before committing.
    • + We offer a 30 day refund period which is better than MAS.

Apple's Mac App Store (MAS)

• + Retains iCloud Sync support.
    • - We cannot migrate a user from AWS to MAS.
    • - We cannot offer individual discounts. That includes an upgrade discount or 'migration' discount.
    • - There is no trial option but in fairness you can run the AWS trial and if you purchase the MAS version it will import the AWS vault.
    • - Personally I find their Family Sharing facility a bit more difficult to use than our AWS licence. Both though allow the same number of people and machines.

Here's the thing. I'm am MAS customer myself, I was a user of 1Password long before I got to join this amazing company. Now when I purchased 1Password 4 (MAS) I realised there were potential downsides. I couldn't get a discount as an existing 1Password 3 user. I also realised that when the day came (although so far it hasn't) and they (AgileBits) decide to charge for the new version that if I want to stay with the MAS version I'll be hit up for the full cost as Apple have no upgrade policy/functionality. I've also purchased a couple of games in MAS and then I did do a facepalm as if I'd purchased them in Steam I could have run them on even Windows machines I believe.

Don't get me wrong, I have to scroll as I've 'purchased' enough MAS applications but there are limitations to be aware of. For many of our customers though the iCloud Sync support is a big aspect. As a Wi-Fi sync person I've never really understood why this big divide between Dropbox and iCloud but I understand that there clearly is and that the sync method is very personal. I'm lucky, Wi-Fi sync has improved greatly and so I'm a happy stick figure.

When I said we have more control over AWS I should have been a little clearer. As we run the AWS store we can do as we please there. That's why if you ever see 1Password as part of a Mac website bundle deal (there's a couple of places that routinely do these bundles and once or twice we've been in them) then it's the AWS version as that's the one where we can hand out licences, refund people here in the forums etc. When we sell through the Mac App Store we pass the binary to Apple, they perform their checks and push it to the store. At that point we're completely out of the loop. We don't get told who purchases it, we're unable to assist if you want a refund and until you visit the forums we're simply unaware that you're a user at all.

That's a fair amount for a single post. If it raises any questions please do ask.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

I recently read an article that argued that Apple is driving developers slowly away from the Mac App Store because of their current policies. Among the ones highlighted were the lack of trial versions, the lack of support for upgrade pricing for existing licensees, plus some stuff about the requirement for sandboxing that renders some application ineligible to be sold there at all. None of the arguments had anything to do with the percentage Apple charges developers when the sale goes through Apple.

All this, despite the fact that the Mac App Store, in the author's opinion, is the most convenient place to buy software. I can't find the link, but the trial version prohibition and the lack of support for upgrade pricing struck home in particular with me. I have no idea whether developers are actually moving out of the MAS, but from this user's point of view, I would certainly look to the developer first to see if I could buy there, before going to the MAS for those two reasons. I have no problem myself with Dropbox syncing for 1Password, I suppose because that was the only cloud solution when I started with the application.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @littlebobbytables for yours and other answers.

Very detailed and clear arguments.

• On behalf of @littlebobbytables and @hawkmoth, you're quite welcome.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.