Multiple vaults

Options
giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Hi there, I’ve always used one single vault which includes personal and business passwords. I’d like to separate them by creating an additional vault but I have some doubts.

Since my Mac is for both personal and business use I go all the time from personal to business. And by adding another vault (as far as I can see) I will be required to pick the desired vault, and enter my master password each time I need to switch from business to personal and vice versa.
But may be I make it harder than it is.

Advice?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

All of your vaults are opened when you enter your master password, so you can switch among them easily without having to enter another password. You can, if you wish, open a secondary vault by itself, without opening your primary vault, by switching to the secondary vault and entering its own password.

It's worth reading the section of the User Guide on Multiple Vaults before you start using them.

• Hi @giusep71,

@hawkmoth is correct. The primary vault's Master Password will allow you to unlock all vaults. So once you've unlocked that you can switch around without having to enter any passwords.

Rick

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, by creating another vault though I'm required to chose a master password. Am I supposed to leave it blank or enter the master password already in use?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

You can enter a different master password for the new vault if you want to. It doesn't need to be the same as for the primary vault. You could use that different master password for the secondary vault to open it by itself, without opening the primary vault. However, if you open the primary vault with its master password, the secondary vault will also open, even if it has a different master password of its own.

(I hope that's clear.)

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Very clear, thank you.

Can you please advise whether multiple vaults sync is enabled using iCloud Dropbox or WiFi?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Multiple vaults sync via Dropbox or WifFi, but not iCloud. You will have to enable sync separately for each vault. That gets taken care of in the Preferences for 1Password 5 on a Mac and in the Sync Preferences on an iOS device.

• Ben
    Options

Just to be clear: only the primary vault can sync via iCloud at the moment. Secondary vaults could then be synced via Dropbox or WiFi, but will not sync via iCloud at all.

Thanks.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. Thanks

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of the others here, you're very welcome! If you have more questions or need anything else, we're always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.