Using passwords for 1Password and 1Passwordanywhere and Dropbox.

Options
topofmilk
topofmilk
Community Member

I have bought 1Password 5 for Mac from the AppStore but have not done anything more. I use Yosemite and Safari and Dropbox. I wish to sync to Dropbox.
I don't understand how 1Passwordanywhere works. As I understand, if I ever need to access my passwords stored in 1Password 5 because I have no access to any of my devices, I can sign in to my Dropbox account to get access to my passwords.
Does 1Password 5 store and make a password for Dropbox? If so, how do I remember it in order to sign in to my Dropbox account?
Can I use my master password for 1Password 5 as well as for my Dropbox password?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @topofmilk,

You're correct of course, while our software is called 1Password the reality is you need to remember more than one to survive. Don't get me wrong though, 1Password stores lots of hideously complex passwords for me so it serves a purpose!

If you wish to access 1PasswordAnywhere then as you've realised, that means remembering your Dropbox password as well as your Master Password. It's probably not a good idea to use the same password for both services. I've seen many people here recommend Diceware as a way to create strong yet still memorable phrases for the likes of Dropbox.

Does that help?

• topofmilk
    topofmilk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I lead a quiet life and I am unlikely to need 1Passwordanywhere. I have determined a master password for 1Password from Diceware but I don't want to have to remember another as well. My present Dropbox password is not strong enough and I need to change it. What is the likelihood that I will ever need 1Passwordanywhere - I know I am asking you to answer the impossible - but I would really like to use the same password for
    Dropbox as the master password. Would it be OK to use a 5 word password - say the first 5 words instead of the 6 word master password I plan to use for 1Password?

• Ben
    Options

but I would really like to use the same password for Dropbox as the master password

I would highly recommend against this. We cannot recommend using your Master Password anywhere other than for 1Password.

What is the likelihood that I will ever need 1Passwordanywhere

That depends entirely on your use case. Some folks use it all the time while others don't even know it exists.

Would it be OK to use a 5 word password - say the first 5 words instead of the 6 word master password I plan to use for 1Password?

It would've been better than using the exact same password, but now you've also just posted on a public forum your intention to do that. ;)

On top of that the strength of diceware passwords is in their randomness. If you remove all but a tiny bit of the randomness, you've removed a lot of the security.

• topofmilk
    topofmilk
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both again. I will act on the recommendations that I have received.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of @littlebobbytables and @bwoodruff, you're very welcome! If you have more questions about 1Password, don't hesitate to ask - we're always happy to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.