No more Dropbox for 10.5

Options
MacMuseum
MacMuseum
Community Member

I've been using 1Password 3 in OS 10.5 (latest version that runs under 10.5), as well as 1Password on newer Macs and iphones. They've all been synced through Dropbox, but Dropbox is being disabled for 10.5 in May. I'm running software that requires 10.5, so upgrading the OS is not an answer. Is there a solution in the works for syncing 1Password 3 some other way?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MacMuseum,

I have a couple of questions.

1. Is one of these newer Macs on the same network or at least close by in terms of walking distance
    2. Do you need to edit the vault on this Leopard machine (AKA OS X 10.5)? would editing on the other machines and devices and merely ensuring the vault on the Leopard machine is up to date be sufficient?
  • MacMuseum
    MacMuseum
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, one of the newer Macs is on the same wifi network.

I do most of my password editing on the Leopard (10.5) machine.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MacMuseum,

Okay. That's the trickier of the situations but it's still doable.

What you're now limited to is using what we call Folder Sync in 1Password 4/5. The first thing you need to do is on your Leopard machine is tell 1Password 3 to move the .agilekeychain somewhere other than Dropbox. The original location it was kept was ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ but you're free to place it wherever you like. Next you're going to need to look into Folder Sync for the newer machines. What it essentially does when you enable Folder Sync is it creates a 1Password.agilekeychain wherever you want to rather than specifically asking for the location of your Dropbox folder.

Here's the tricky part though. Dropbox handles merging and conflicts for us. So you will now need to look into a third party tool such as rsync or ChronoSync. I did check their website, they still have a version compatible with Leopard. ChronoSync is probably the friendlier of the two but you're still going to want to be careful. am .agilekeychain is a bundle, a specially treated folder and it contains folders and files inside. What ChronoSync needs to do is ensure that it syncs everything and you need to be careful regarding conflicts e.g. you've edited an item on two machines before the first edit had time to sync. ChronoSync will see the file updated in two places but which to keep?

If I can find time I'll see if I can look into ChronoSync with a little more detail but I do have to warn you, when it comes to Folder Sync and third party tools:

Please note that we cannot provide support for these or any third-party sync solutions. They are merely provided as examples of sync solutions other 1Password users have reported as working. The list is not exhaustive.

I'm sorry, it's probably not exactly the news you were hoping for but it seems Leopard is reaching the end of its shelf life. If the bulk i.e. all of the editing had been done on a machine running 1Password 4 or 5 I would have suggested simply overwriting the 1Password 3 1Password.agilkeychain with the one created by the other 1Password. It seems like that isn't an option though.

This discussion has been closed.