Is 1Password a one-time fee?

Options
ghkrahn
ghkrahn
Community Member

I see that 1Password is $57.99 in the Mac App Store. If I buy that, is that a one-time fee and do I have full access and complete cross device synchronization on unlimited computers, phones, and tablets?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

It is a one-time fee, although the developers have charged to upgrade between major releases. Your copy will continue to run if you don't upgrade, though, unless a future OS update should make a change that would break it. That's a possibility with most software, not just 1Password.

Your license will give you the right to install 1Password on all the Macs you have that use the same Apple ID for purchases from Apple. You can also share with as many as six family members through Family Sharing on the Mac App Store. If you buy instead from the AgileBits web store, you can install it on as many Macs as you use yourself, without any restrictions about Apple IDs. You can also install it on as many as six family members' Macs with the same license file as you would use for your single user license. Also, they normally offer discounted upgrade licenses when they charge for major upgrades; Apple does not provide for discounted pricing for prior users when paid upgrades are released - you would pay the same as a new user. Be aware, however, that you would not be able to use iCloud for syncing if you buy from AgileBits instead of Apple.

Licenses are sold separately for each platform. Your mobile devices will require a separate download from the iTunes App Store if you are using iOS devices, or Google Play for Android. The application is free to download. You can use the basic features of the iOS version as long as you like, but a separate in-app purchase is needed to unlock the Pro features. In-app purchases are not eligible for Family Sharing - Apple's choice in that case. The Android app is also free to download; it has a 30 day full trial, but you will have to purchase a license to continue to use it.

My answer is mainly given on the assumption that you are wanting to sync among Apple devices only. If you should have Android or Windows in the mix, iCloud for syncing won't be available, no matter where you buy your license. And like Android, Windows is a separate platform, requiring a separate purchase. AgileBits does sell discounted Mac + Windows bundles on their site, but obviously, the Mac App Store doesn't do that.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2015
    Options

@ghkrahn,

I hope @hawkmoth's above words of wisdom have been helpful, but if we can be of further assistance, please let us know!

Thanks!

Ben

P.S. We have a guide to licensing on our website here, which may be of some help as well:

• ghkrahn
    ghkrahn
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you very much for the thorough answer, hawkmoth! And thanks for the offer for further assistance, Ben. :-)

• On behalf of hawkmoth and Ben, you're welcome! :)

This discussion has been closed.