Error, when starting 1Password4 (An important component is missing from 1Password)

Options
2»

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Not to encryption exclusively, no. There are a number of antivirus, anti-malware, and related programs that cause problems.

A good first step is to disable such tools, temporarily, to see whether the problem persists. If you're willing to try that, please let us know how it goes.

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

the only software from that list that I have installed is AdBlock Plus browser extension. I have deactivated in and also deactivated all other extensions. Restarted Firefox, Deinstalled 1Password. Restarted Computer. Installed 1Password: Same issue, I can start 1Password as long as I don't log out or restart but I can create the DR from within 1Password. Finally I did a restart again. Same issue, the windows with the error message appears.

So no news so far. What's next?

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I can create the DR from within 1Password

@fritzbox99 Great! Can you send your DR to me, please?

stefan AT agilebits DOT com

Thanks!

• fritzbox99
    fritzbox99
    Community Member
    Options

@svondutch sorry, my mistake. i still can't create the DR from within 1password.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

@fritzbox99 Our app needs ChilkatCrypt2.dll and our DR needs ChilkatZip.dll -- this leads me to believe there is a problem with these ActiveX components on your system.

We install these components in Windows\System and then register them with the Windows registry.

After a reboot, something is wrong and our app thinks these components aren't available, which could mean one of many things:

1. anti-virus software might have quarantined them
    2. other software might have registered these components with the Windows registry (we have seen this problem before with SAAZOD by Zenith) -- hereby hijacking them away from us.
    3. a permissions issue, which prevents our software from reading these components from either the Windows registry or the Windows\System directory.

My advice is to run the Chilkat installers, and run them twice; once for "Just me" and then again for "Everyone".

1. click here for the ChilkatCrypt installer
    2. click here for the ChilkatZip installer

I'm sorry I do not have a better answer for you. We have not seen this problem before.

This discussion has been closed.