Idea: Open up other apps from the 1Password app

Options
kevinebaugh
kevinebaugh
Community Member

Say I want to open an iOS app that I know I have to sign into. I could save a few steps if I could…

1. Open the 1Password app first.
  2. Find the app/login in 1Password.
  3. Tap on "Open this app" and the password is automatically copied to the clipboard.
  4. The other app opens, I enter my username, then paste the password and sign in.

Unfortunately, adding a deeplink (ex IFTTT://) as a website in the login (like so) doesn't work.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kevinebaugh,

I'm not entirely sure if that is possible or not in iOS unless each program specifies an URI. I'll ask the iOS devs though.

• kevinebaugh
    kevinebaugh
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @littlebobbytables, thanks for looking! It would indeed only work for iOS apps that have URL schemes, but there's quite a few of those.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kevinebaugh,

The other route now of course is support of our iOS extension. There are a few apps that support this now, the list of the ones we're aware is at Apps ❤ 1Password. To incentivise, our extension doesn't just have to support 1Password as the Password Manager, it has been purposely designed so if somebody else wants to support it as the Password Manager their app would be opened (or iOS gives you the option, I'm unsure). The benefit of this approach is no copy and paste required, it's filled in directly on their login screen/page.

Hopefully one way or another we all eventually reach an agreed solution :smile:

• kevinebaugh
    kevinebaugh
    Community Member
    Options

Good point! We're loving the iOS extension in the IFTTT apps.

• Ben
    Options

It is indeed pretty great when apps add 1P integration, but I can see how this would be handy for instances where your apps haven't yet. :) I'll certainly pass the feedback along.

This discussion has been closed.