Unlock with TouchID - 1password sometimes unresponsive

Options
cmdrcool
cmdrcool
Community Member

Hi everyone

I got sometimes (I can really tell when) the issue that I open 1password for iOS (8.1.3 on iPhone 6) and the "unlock with TouchID" screen appears (I configured it to use TouchID).
Sometimes now (maybe because my thumb already rests on the TouchID sensor) the dialog quickly disappears (it unlocks successfully) but then 1password is unresponsive - it still has this gray layer over the UI and I cannot click anything.
Pushing the home button doesn't so anything as well (does not go back to home screen).
I need to push the on/off button - get a dark screen - the push on/off button again - out my thumb on TouchID (unlock the iPhone) - and then 1password is already unlocked and works.
Someone else ever experienced this problem?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

This is a known issue: see this AgileBits post.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cmdrcool,

We are aware of this problem for a small number of our users where if they're resting a thumb or finger on the Touch ID button while 1Password is opening that it does as you say. The problem we're facing is we can't replicate it and I believe there is no way to get any useful logs. With it happening to very few people it does also raise the possibility of some weird hardware defect or maybe a slightly broken iOS installation (I stress possibility, it could be something entirely different and within our control, it's just so hard to tell). Either way it isn't proving fatal, just very annoying. It would be a lot easier for us if we could make it happen on some of our own hardware - the devs would love that for troubleshooting purposes.

At the moment all we can say is the only definitive way to avoid the issue is not to rest your thumb or finger on the sensor. Sorry it's not better news than that.

• cmdrcool
    cmdrcool
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Ok - I would try to send you a log file if you like when the issues occurred.
    Is that ok? Any references in the log file email?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cmdrcool,

Thanks for offering to send us a log file! If you'd like to do that, please open 1Password and navigate to Settings > Advanced > Diagnostics > Log Settings and then enable UI Lock and Lock. Then close 1Password and reproduce the issue. As soon as the problem happens again, please send us a Diagnostics Report: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-ios-kb/5/en/topic/send-us-your-diagnostic-report

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox. A short note here once you've sent the report will help us to keep an eye out for it. Thanks in advance!

ref: OPI-2068

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    Options

I've had this issue across several versions. Disappeared in the previous version (as far as I can tell) but back again with 5.2. Support just suggested deleting and reinstalling but I haven't had a chance to test that yet. None of my other Touch ID apps have this issue.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @BoxCar,

I'm sorry you've also been having this problem! If you haven't already done so, it might help to reboot your iOS device(s). If that doesn't help and you decide to try deleting & reinstalling 1Password, just make sure you've made a backup of your data first (if you have all your 1Password data on another computer/device, that's fine).

This issue seems to be intermittent, and as littlebobbytables mentioned, we've had trouble reproducing it on our own devices which makes it quite difficult for our developers to figure out why it's happening. Some users have reported seeing the same thing happen in other apps as well, which is part of the reason we think it may be related to a bug in iOS, but it's also possible we could do something to avoid triggering that problem. Our developers are working with Apple to get to the bottom of this, so hopefully they'll find a solution soon.

For now, if rebooting the device and/or deleting & reinstalling the app doesn't help, the best way to avoid the issue is to wait until 1Password prompts you for Touch ID before putting your finger on the sensor.

• BoxCar
    BoxCar
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I'll try reinstalling. The issues has persisted across reboots. I believe it was absent in the prior version. Fairly certain I'm not touching the sensor until prompted but I'll monitor that.

• Ben
    Options

Please let us know how it goes. :)

This discussion has been closed.