Can't see/open attachments in iOS app

Options
stumbe
stumbe
Community Member

Inserting attachments with Mac version of 1Password works and you can open attachments (jpg) with Mac. When opening attachment with IOS version only the filename can be seen but the file will not open (for example you can't view jpg file).

Comments

• stumbe
    stumbe
    Community Member
    Options

Forgot to say that I have also tested with the newest 1Password iOS 5.2 version

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I, too, am using 1P 5.2 for iOS. I have a jpeg file attached to an identity and if I touch the filename the jpeg displays with no problem. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. If it's easy you might try deleting the attachment and re-adding it or re-syncing it from the Mac.

Stephen

• Corollary to @Stephen_C‌ 's suggestion, @stumbe‌, I'd be interested to know what happens if you add the same attachment to that item a second time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stumbe,

Are you seeing this with all of your attachments, or are there just one or two that are acting up? If it's just a few, then Stephen_C's suggestion of re-attaching the item seems like a great plan.

If this issue is consistent across all your attachments, could you confirm a few extra details for me:

• What version number of 1Password are you using on Mac?
    • What are you using to keep your data in sync?
  • cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

I am having the same problem. I have a few older attachments that seem to work. New ones added on the mac show up on ios in the attachment area, but they are empty.

I also have a case of a different login with an attachment being readable on the ios app, and on the mac app there are two attachments listed -- one empty with the same name as on ios, and another with a different name that is visible.

osx: 10.10.2 / 1password 5.1
    ios: 8.1.3 / 1password 5.2
    sync-method: icloud
    attempting to keep in sync: png attachment (qr code screenshot)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cactusj, to make sure I understand, is this a problem for all new attachments that you add on your Mac and sync to iOS? If so, deleting and re-adding an attachment on your Mac probably won't help.

Can you also elaborate on the item with 1 attachment on iOS and 2 attachments on Mac? You said it works on iOS, and one of the attachment works on Mac but has a different name than on iOS. Is it a completely different name, or the same name but with a number added (or something similar)? Is the working attachment on your Mac the same image as the working attachment on iOS? Also, when you say one is "empty" on the Mac (the one with the same name as the attachment on iOS), do you mean you can open it on Mac, but there is no image? Is it a completely gray or white area instead?

Thanks!

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

is this a problem for all new attachments that you add on your Mac and sync to iOS?

@Drew_AG It appears so.

Can you also elaborate on the item with 1 attachment on iOS and 2 attachments on Mac?

sure

You said it works on iOS, and one of the attachment works on Mac but has a different name than on iOS. Is it a completely different name, or the same name but with a number added (or something similar)?

Completely different name.

Is the working attachment on your Mac the same image as the working attachment on iOS?

At first it appeared they were, because they png captures of QR codes, but it appears on closer inspection they are indeed not the same. One of the items must be newer. It is certainly odd that the ios and mac keychains show different items in the attachment list!

Also, when you say one is "empty" on the Mac (the one with the same name as the attachment on iOS), do you mean you can open it on Mac, but there is no image? Is it a completely gray or white area instead?

clicking the item and hitting spacebar to bring up the quick preview induced a spinner for a bit, then I get preview app telling me that the file has size Zero KB. It also has no little icon next to it in the attachment list (png attachment usually has the relevant mime type image).

One interesting thing.. my mac FS is mounted with noatime. This generally causes no problems other than the occasional finder window needing to be manually refreshed, but I figured I would note it on the off chance that icloud sync was somehow relying on something as unusual as that.

The other item of potential note is that I use icloud sync to keep 3 devices up to date. 1 laptop, one ipad, and one iphone. All running the most current mainstream (non beta) versions of the most current OS available.

• Wethepeople
    Wethepeople
    Community Member
    Options

I am having the same problem. I tried gif, png, pdf, tiff, jpeg, and bmp and I only get a blank screen after I sync them to my iPhone. It shows up fine on my Mac. I will be interested to see if there is a fix for this issue.

• @cactusj if you make a change to the item (e.g. add a note, change a field value, etc.) with the working attachment on iOS, then sync, does the change show up in the item with the working attachment on Mac?

I just want to make sure that we are dealing with the same item, and not copies of it.

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    Options

As previously stated, attachment is an image of a QR code, so I cannot change a "field" on it. I have attempted to update on mac via delete and re-add with same name, different name, even other images, and they all sync to ios as empty. I think that is the core issue here.

The fact that I have two attachments on mac and one on ios for the same item is certainly an oddity though. I have tried adding new images to that particular item, and they are synced as empty to ios as well.

I vaguely recall this happening once before, and I think support had me stop syncing with all devices, pave icloud, and start syncing again. My recollection is that there were a couple of attachments that were lost in the process (empty file won the 'sync war' or something?). Luckily at the time they weren't important enough, and/or easily recreated, so I didn't have to go spelunking through backups.

• Hi @cactusj, sorry I wasn't clear. The attachment is in an item. The item has other fields such as name, password, website, tags, etc. I was asking to make a change to one of those fields, not the attachment itself. If you change one of those values (e.g. the name) does the name change sync to the Mac? And then try it on the Mac and see if the name change syncs to iOS.

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

oh snap -- thanks for the clarification. I will definitely try that.

*** time passes ***

If I add a new line item label+field on my mac, it shows right up on ios. Removing also happens properly.

• stumbe
    stumbe
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Megan, I'am using 1Password Mac OS 5.1 (Build 510027). I have tried many times deleting and adding attachments again. I'am using iCloud sync. When opening Attachment it's opens only "gray window" with the text "filename.jpg JPEG-photo, 655Kb". If you try to save it to camera roll nothing happens.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stumbe,

In the past did you previously use Dropbox to sync your vault? Does the problem persist if you create an entirely new item and try attaching the very same images to that item instead?

I suspect this might be the issue, let us know how you get along.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cactusj,

I'm actually wondering the results of my previous post in relation to you as well. I might have missed if you have tried it but what happens if you create a brand new item, does the issues you're experiencing continue there as well?

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

to clarify, the new section+item were properly synced. This had no impact on the syncing of attachments, which is still syncing from mac=>ios as zero sized.

I also just discovered that a few of my "notes" sections have duplicate information in them. A single note item with the same 5 lines being repeated 9 or so times, sometimes with minor differences (maybe each revision is just being appended somehow?). Perhaps the fact that I have 3 devices syncing over icloud at some point in time (some upgrade or particular revision) caused some sort of sync loop. Not sure.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I also just discovered that a few of my "notes" sections have duplicate information in them. A single note item with the same 5 lines being repeated 9 or so times, sometimes with minor differences (maybe each revision is just being appended somehow?).

Just to deal with that point, if those items are separated by ===== they are not actually duplicates but are conflicts detected on sync. If 1P detects a conflict in a note when you sync it keeps both versions so you can choose which one to retain.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cactusj,

There might be a little confusion there, I see that adding or altering new fields is successful but in the past we've had an issue where items created some time ago and have been possibly synced over Dropbox just won't sync attachments. It isn't an issue now but the easiest way to resolve these is to simply create a new item and copy everything over.

So what I'm wondering is, using the exact same attachments, does the issue happen with a brand new item? If a completely new item works then it seems this is the likely cause. If it persists we're looking for something else and we may ask for a diagnostic report.

We've got a bug regarding secure notes that we're hoping to clear up soon which sounds like the second issue you're reporting.

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables Will making a duplicate work (right click), or do I need to manually copy the fields into a new item? I am certainly willing to try.
    I haven't used dropbox, but long ago I used the old wifi sync (long time user so my db has been carried forward across many versions now).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cactusj,

To try and eliminate as many variables as possible for this test it would be safer to create a brand new item rather than a duplicate. This is the most basic way of creating an item and if that doesn't work then we ignore other ways too. If you're curious you can of course try both paths and we'd both learn something from it. I would myself but unfortunately I don't have any items that display this behaviour any more.

If you've used quite a few versions of 1Password, including 1Password 3 then your vault will at some point have been stored in an .agilekeychain bundle which is what Dropbox uses. That may be what connects you to this bug if indeed I am correct with my suspicions/assessment.

Please do keep us informed.

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@littlebobbytables I just manually copied an item (painful!) and added the same attachment (from the mac) that failed to copy in a pre-existing item, and it did indeed appear on the ios device and was viewable.

I did some cli surfing, and found what appears to be a very old agilekeychain in
    ~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain
    -- however no file in that tree was newer than oct 2013 (earliest being nov 2010 apparently!). I have of course modified and added things since that time. This makes me think the keychain is no longer in use, but just some uncleaned detritus.

What is the recommended way to "rejuvinate" my database? I have performed the "tools->optimize" and "tools->remove redundant" operations previously, but those appeared to have no impact on my issue.

Would a backup and restore refresh the keychain? Or would I need to do an export/import instead?

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cactusj,

Having conferred with a dev there are a couple of potential routes to try. Do you still have the older item known to not be working? I ask because it will serve as a good litmus test for the suggestions below.

The easiest solution to attempt is to disable iCloud Sync on all of your devices and then erase the iCloud sync data. I'm told that creating fresh sync data may work. You can erase the iCloud Sync data on your Mac using the following drop down menu option in 1Password Help > Troubleshooting > Erase iCloud Data but it's best not to do so when you're syncing on devices to avoid any potential gotcha. If you need guidance in how to disable sync on your various Apple devices let us know.

The next step up would be the more severe strategy of exporting your vault, moving the existing data and creating a fresh new vault from scratch. We can do that and guide you through the steps if you wish but it's probably best to see if the easier route works first.

Let us know how you get along with that suggestion and if we need to we'll cover the latter.

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    Options

I have done the first option previously, and it seemed to fix things for a while but then it started happening again at some point. I think I would like to try the dump restore method this time. Please let me know the steps you recommend for that, as well as any file paths that I need to move out of the way.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi @cactusj,

This should be what you need.

General Warning to all users. This is an advanced topic and you had better know exactly what you're doing. Your data is at risk if you don't.

Exporting your vault(s) to start over in 1Password 5.1 for Mac

It is assumed the that primary Mac will have a complete set of vaults that are on your other devices. If this is not the case please do not follow these steps.

1. Disable any syncing you are currently doing on all of your devices. In 1Password for Mac you want to enter 1Password's preferences and switch to the Sync tab. Select each vault in turn from the list on the left hand side and change the drop down menu in the right hand side panel to None. Confirm you want to disable syncing and tick the Delete data from XXXX checkbox as you want the old sync data removed. For iOS devices you will want to open 1Password for iOS and enter the Settings page. From there you select the top option titled Vaults. For each vault in turn you want to touch the little blue i to the right of the vault name. The top entry on this next page will say Sync Service if you are syncing the vault, otherwise it will say Start Syncing. If it says Sync Service select that line to reach the required Sync page. At the bottom of this page you will see an option titled Disable Sync. Select and confirm you with to disable sync. See the image at the end of this post for the iOS screenshots.
    2. With sync disabled everywhere, open up 1Password for Mac and use the File > Export > All Items... on each vault you have. It is important the file format is set to 1Password Interchangeable Format (.1pif). This will result in a .1pif folder per vault.
    3. Follow the steps in our Starting Over guide. I have one exception. If you are a Mac App Store customer then after step 2.2 (where you've moved the 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper folder I would also move the com.agilebits.onepassword-osx folder in ~/Library/Containers/.
    4. Follow the steps in our Running 1Password for the first time guide and create a new primary vault.
    5. From your primary vault create as many new secondary vaults as you require using 1Password > New Vault...
    6. With each vault active, import the .1pif file for that vault using File > Import... option. Selecting the .1pif folder (not the contents) will enable the Open button.
    7. With all .1pif files imported, check your vaults to ensure everything looks good.
    8. If all is correct move the .1pif folders to your Empty Trash and then use the Secure Empty option which you can find in Finder > Secure Empty Trash... We want to do this because .1pif data is unencrypted and so not safe to keep long term. You can delete the folders dragged to your desktop in step 3. although if you want to keep them for a little longer it isn't as bad because they are at least encrypted (although using your older encryption keys).
    9. Re-enable Syncing in the copy of 1Password where you created the fresh new vault. This sync data, be it iCloud or one of our own formats, .agilekeychain and .opvault, will have the new encryption keys from your fresh vault.
    10. Personally I'd then follow the Starting Over guide for all my other Macs and then follow the Getting started again on a new computer guide. For iOS devices running version 4 we have this Starting over guide, for version 5 users they can clear data and settings by using Settings > Advanced > Erase Data and Settings. For both versions you can then follow the Existing 1Password user guide.

Screenshots of how to disable syncing in 1Password for iOS.

That would result in fresh vaults on all devices using the new sync data with the new encryption keys.

Please take the time to read all the steps thoroughly and make sure you feel happy about what it all entails. Any questions do please, please ask.

• cactusj
    cactusj
    Community Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

@littlebobbytables thanks for the comprehensive instructions.

I did the export to an osx encrypted volume, to help alleviate the "plain text" output, as I use an ssd and "secure erase" is dubious with ssd's in mind -- the blocks on the disk are not necessarily rewritten on write, sometimes are just marked as free, and the ssd may or may not perform garbage collection at some later time.

After the export, I poked around in the data, and the attachment directory did not have any zero size files, which is great.
    After cleaning out icloud, deleting all folders I could find on my mac with reference to agilebits and 1password, uninstalling the app (app store does some cleanup of /private/../files), and reinstalling it, I did the import and created a sync.

Everything is now resynced and populated to my iphone, and all attachments seem to be viewable and non-zero. I added a new attachment on the mac, and it properly synced to the iphone. hooray!

Aside from crashing the iphone app while trying to edit a one-time password url string (I clicked 'send report' so hopefully that helps you guys out), the whole process wasn't too bad.

If the issue resurfaces I will try reaching out to support directly.

Thanks again!

• Thanks for letting us know!

• stumbe
    stumbe
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your tips! Now attachments are working both in iPhone and iPad. I got it working by first disabling iCloud sync from Mac. Then I Uninstalled 1Password from iPad and iPhone. Then I exported all stuff to pif folder from 1Password Mac. Then deleted all stuff and imported back from pif file. Then enabling iCloud sync from Mac and installing 1Password to iPhone and iPad again.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @stumbe! Glad to hear you were able to get things working. :)

This discussion has been closed.