UNABLE UN-install and RE-install and create new account from dropbox

Options
ajsingleton
ajsingleton
Community Member

This is absolutely maddening; why can't I un-install a previous version a re-install a fresh copy and then restore from a dropbox account? Everytime I try to repeat the aforementioned, the app just defaults to my original password credentials. I've followed the instructions on-line to completely remove the files and restart but it doesn't work. For $50 registration I expect an immediate remediation for this issue. I've already spent three hours trying to resolve this issue on my own this weekend. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Are you trying to change your master Password? You're removing the files from the computer, dropbox is in the cloud with a 1Password vault there.

Why are you re-installing it? What are you trying to do?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ajsingleton,

Here is what I recommend.

Follow out Starting Over guide again even if you've follow it once already. There is a point that is dependent on where you purchased 1Password, either direct from us, Agile Web Store (AWS) or through Apple's Mac App Store (MAS). In case you've had both versions on your system please check that both locations are empty.

Before rebooting check to see if the following folder exists ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/. That's the folder for 1Password 3 and if you have a 1Password.agilekeychain in there 1Password 4/5 will import it in an attempt to be helpful. Then do reboot your Mac

After that, when you start up 1Password it will still ask for a Master Password if it sees a .agilekeychain in Dropbox. The screen should look a little different though (see screenshot below).

See the bit underlined in red in that screenshot? That will display a small menu if you click on it which will look something like:

From there you can select the specific .agilekeychain if 1Password has guessed incorrectly or even instruct it to create a brand new vault.

Let us know if you have any further questions after that or if your observations differ from this then a screenshot might help determine the issue. Just make sure nothing personal is viewable as these forums are public. We look forward to hearing how you get along.

• ajsingleton
    ajsingleton
    Community Member
    Options

This was a perfect remedy. Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for letting us know you're back on track. Hopefully it's smooth sailing from now on but if have any questions or issues do please ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.