Invalid Master Password

RichardPayne
RichardPayne
Community Member

I've just got a new LG G3. It has updated to Lollipop.
I have Dropbox installed and the 1Password vault is fully downloaded.

I installed the latest 1Password beta (4.2b10) and followed the installation wizard through selecting "existing user", "sync Dropbox" confirmed the name of the vault it detected (there's only one, in Dropbox root) but when it asks for my master password it refuses to accept it stating "Invalid Master Password".

I logged in using 1PasswordAnywhere and that accepts my MP without issue. My Windows machine can still open the vault.
I also check that the vault files had downloaded properly, and they seem to have done, however I can not see a way to make Dropbox re-sync them.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2015

Hi @RichardPayne,

Congratulations on the new device!

Is there a non-alphanumeric character in your password? If yes, try changing the master password to replace that character with something else, see if it'll work.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ok, that worked. Now how do I restore my master password to what it should be, including symbols?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
  • RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
  • Hey Richard! You should not have any problems with changing your master password as long as all the characters in your new master password are US-ASCII based. In a technical sense, we do support full Unicode master passwords but the difficulty is that different operating systems and environments can hand different data to 1Password depending on the system it was entered on even if it is the "same" from the user's point of view. We very strongly recommend that people stick to US-ASCII to avoid this issue across different platforms. Let me know if you have any questions.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

You've misunderstood @saad. I did not change my master password. My master password contains symbols in the ASCII set. One morning my Android refused to accept it. 1Password for Windows accepted it fine so I knew that the vault was still valid.

At @MikeT's suggestion I changed the MP to remove the symbols and 1PfA accepted the new password. I want to revert to previous, symbol containing, MP. Note that the original MP has never been a problem until the morning I reported the issue.

• Thanks for the clarification. In this case, I would like you to change your master password back to the original (containing the symbol) and let me know if 1Password is accepting your master password now. If 1Password on Android is not accepting your master password, could you please clear the application data and then configure 1Password as an existing user? If 1Password does not accept your master password here, the button below the master password field will show "Send sync report". Tap on that and send us the report so we can look at the exact error message. It's possible the master password is correct but there is something else going on in 1Password on Android.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

ok, I switch the MP back and it worked. I then cleared down the app data and started from scratch. It still accepted the original password.

One thing I had forgotten about is that since logging this item I noticed that 1Password Anywhere wasn't not displaying all of my items. I did a vault repair from the Windows app which fixed 1Password Anywhere. Not sure if cause of the logged fault was due to a damaged vault, but the coincidence makes it seem likely.

I'd therefore like to request a "Repair Vault" button appear on the unlock screen if it fails to unlock twice, maybe with a label saying something like "Having trouble unlocking your vault? Try to [Repair Vault]"

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

Clearing the data appears to broken the copy on Dropbox. I restored from backup on Windows only for Android re-sync and break it again.

It looks like Android's sync mechanism is breaking the vault in some way.

• Hi @RichardPayne .:)

I've so far been unable to reproduce this issue. Here's what I did:
    1. Installed 1Password 4.2b10 on my Android
    2. Opened and synced to Dropbox
    3. Cleared app data
    4. Opened 1Password again and reconfigured Dropbox sync
    5. Opened vault in 1PasswordAnywhere

All of my data showed up in Dropbox. I then opened 1Password on my PC and repaired 1Password vault, and was prompted with "No errors or problems have been found."

Are those the same steps you took to reproduce the issue on your end, or have I done something differently?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

@peri
    ok, problem solved and it's nothing to do with 1Password. The keyboard on this phone rather confusingly uses the same symbols for two different functions. The upshot is that I was not entering the master password I thought I was entering!

• saad
    edited March 2015

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks for updating us on your findings. :)

This discussion has been closed.