1Password or 1Password 5: Which do I keep?

Options
sjkpdx
sjkpdx
Community Member

I downloaded 1Password from the AgileBits site. After the trial period I paid for the full version via the Mac App Store. How I have both "1Password" and "1Password 5" apps installed on my Mac. Which one should I keep? If I delete one, will I still have all of my data in the one that I keep?

Running OS X 10.10.2 on a Mid-2011 iMac.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sjkpdx,

The 1Password 5.app is the one downloaded from our store and the 1Password.app is the one downloaded from the Mac App Store.

First of all, your data is safe no matter what.

What I would like you to do is this.

Open 1Password.app and make a note of how many items you have. Make a note of the item changed most recently which you can do by sorting by Date Modified (see screenshot below)

Now use the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q to quit both 1Password and 1Password mini.

Now open 1Password 5.app and repeat the above steps.

If the counts match and they both show the same item as modified most recently then you can drag the 1Password 5.app to your Trash with no adverse effects. This also applies if the contents for the vault in 1Password.app are newer, simply drag 1Password 5.app to your Trash.

If the contents of your 1Password 5.app seem to be newer then we'll want to handle that. Simply post back here and we'll tell you what to do.

The two versions store their support files in different locations as one is sandboxed (the Apple's Mac App Store one) while our Agile Web Store isn't. When you launch either one for the first time it tries to be helpful and checks all the default locations. If it finds a previous vault it will import it. After that though if you modify the 'wrong' vault it won't show up in the one you actually want to keep.

After you've moved one copy to the trash you'll be fine going forward but if you have any questions do please let us know.

• sjkpdx
    sjkpdx
    Community Member
    Options

Turns out 1Password 5 has one fewer item, but also one new item that's not in 1Password. So 1Password 5 is more up-to-date. (Ironically, the one newer item in 1Password 5 is my login for the AgileBits site.) Next steps?

Thanks for the help here.

• sjkpdx
    sjkpdx
    Community Member
    Options

And props for the XKCD avatar.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @sjkpdx,

I'll let @littlebobbytables know you like his avatar, I'm sure he appreciates that! :)

Ok, so it sounds like 1Password.app (the Mac App Store version) has all of your latest/current data, except for your AgileBits Login item which is in 1Password 5.app (the web store version)? If so, there are a few simple solutions here. I think the easiest might be to export that item from 1Password 5.app and import it into 1Password.app. You can follow these steps:

• Open 1Password 5.app and select your AgileBits Login item.
    • Go to File > Export > Selected Items.
    • Make sure the .1pif format is selected, and save that to the Desktop.
    • Use the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q to quit both 1Password and 1Password mini.
    • Move 1Password 5.app to the Trash (don't use any app cleaning utilities).
    • Open 1Password.app and go to File > Import.
    • Choose the .1pif folder you just created, and click Open.

You should now have all your data (including the AgileBits Login) in 1Password.app. If so, please make sure you delete the .1pif folder from your Desktop, as that data is unencrypted (you may want to do a Secure Empty Trash).

Hopefully you're all set, but if you run into problems or have questions about that, just let us know!

• sjkpdx
    sjkpdx
    Community Member
    Options

Seemed to work. Thanks for the help.

• Glad to help!

This discussion has been closed.