How many licenses do I need?

Options
Griso8V
Griso8V
Community Member

I want to use this, but need to understand my total cost investment. My family has one Windows PC with 4 profiles on it. I would have 1Password installed there and allow the other family members to create their own vaults. Additionally, my wife and I also both have Android Phones and tablets. I would want these devices to sync with the master vault maintained on the Windows machine. How many licenses do I need to get?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

You would need to buy a single user Windows license, which you can share with up to six family members in the same household.

I'm not sure what Android rules are regarding sharing, but I do know that you can download it fully for a 30 day trial period. You can continue to use it in its basic form for free. You do have to pay to use the more advanced features, if you need them. Some uses are perfectly happy with the free version. Here is a link to a page from the Android manual describing the trial and the advanced features.

I do know about sharing the advanced features in iOS (only if all users use the same Apple ID to purchase software from Apple), but not Android.

• Griso8V
    Griso8V
    Community Member
    Options

Okay. With Android, as long as I purchase with my Google ID I can share paid apps across any device registered to me. So If I wanted to use the advanced features then I would need (1) android license for my devices, (1) android license for my wife for devices registered to her, and (1) license for the main home Windows family PC. So the maximum sounds like (3) licenses, and if I just use the free versions on the mobile devices I can get away with just (1) license. Sound right?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Again with the caution that I don't know Android rules, that sounds right to me.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that is right. Android is like iOS used to be before they introduced the family sharing stuff. 1 license per Google account.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Griso8V‌

Thanks so much for considering 1Password to keep your digital data secure and organized! Sounds like you've got some pretty great advice here already, there's not much more I can add.

If you have any further questions though, we're happy to help! :)

• kzb0524
    kzb0524
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Agilebits. I am a long time user and HUGE fan of 1Password. Currently I have a consulting client who I am working with to get set up on the software for their business team. It has been a while since I've purchased mixed platform multiple licenses and I want to be sure that I quote and purchase for them correctly. Can you confirm for me how many licenses they will need in an environment with... 8 Windows, 2 Mac, 6 iPhone and 2 iPads? Thank you!

• Ben
    Options

Hi @kzb0524,

With our licensing the number of computers isn't so important, but rather the number of people. Could you please outline for us what people need to use 1Password on what platforms?

E.x. Person A needs Mac & Windows, Person B needs Mac & iOS, Person C needs Windows and Android, etc.

• kzb0524
    kzb0524
    Community Member
    Options

Oh that's right. This is why I asked. :) It's been a while. Here's the breakdown.

Owner needs - 2 Windows, 2 iOS, 1 OS X
    Owner also has a daughter that may be included needing 1 OS X, 2 iOS
    Employees 2-6 need 1 Windows, 1 iOS each
    Employees 7-8 need 1 Windows each

Thank you!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks @kzb0524.

The owner and their daughter will need:
    1x 1Password for Mac + Windows Bundle (https://agilebits.com/store) and 2x 1Password for iOS (http://j.mp/1PasCS).

Employees 2-8 can share a 1Password for Windows 7 seat 1Password for Windows license (https://agilebits.com/store/business).

Employees 2-6 will each need a copy of 1Password for iOS.

Note that the iOS product is free, with an in-app purchase for Pro features if desired.

Thanks!

• kzb0524
    kzb0524
    Community Member
    Options

Perfect! Thank you!

• Ben
    Options

You are welcome. Just to be clear, because re-reading it myself I'm not sure I was, the 1x Mac+Windows bundle license will be shared by the owner and their daughter, and they each need 1x 1Password for iOS (for a total of two between them, not two each).

• kzb0524
    kzb0524
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the clarification. I did read it twice but did understand that. Make it a great day!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kzb0524: It sounds like you should be good to go as far as licensing, but don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions that arise whilst getting everyone there set up with 1Password! :)

• kzb0524
    kzb0524
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your help Gentlemen! I do have one other logistics question that I haven't found the answer to in another discussion. We will be creating a shared vault for my clients employees. When an employee leave the company, we obviously need to make sure that they can not get back into the vault. For iOS devices I am assuming that the best way to do so is delete the app and change their Master Password to their vault. On their CPU, their user gets deleted and the cpu is cleaned. My understanding is that we will need to change their dropbox password in this event. My big question is this: when the old employee's user account is erased, can we/how do we reassign their former 1Password license to a new employee coming in?

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

If you're purchasing 1password on their personal Google accounts then I do 't think that you can recover them. If they are using a company smart phone then just recover the hardware and reset the Google account password.

Securing the vault is trickier. Personally I'd have each user on a separate Dropbox account using folder sharing to link to the dropbox account that actually contains the vault. Then you can just disconnect the account to remove access.

Of course they will still know the master password so you will have to reset that; which will mean everyone else learning the new password. Also, there's nothing stopping them copying out the content of the vault before they leave so you'll need to change of of the login passwords too!

• kzb0524
    kzb0524
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your comments Richard. My concern is more about how licenses are attached to users. When opening the app for the first time it will get linked to a license. If an employee leaves, their user account on the cpu will be delete. In my experience, when I create a new user on my cpu and open 1Password for the first time the app is running in 30 day Trial Mode. I have to link it to a license.

How do I release the former employees user from the license, before deleting their cpu user account, so that when the new employee/user account is created, I can use the license for them? I can't ask my client buy a new license each time an employee leaves and a new one comes in to use the same cpu under a new user account. That becomes cost prohibitive. It seems that we should be able to recycle a previously purchased license.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@kzb0524: The licenses aren't 'locked' to a particular machine. So if I understand your situation correctly, in your case the best thing to do would be to register your licenses the name of business (or owner); that way, 1Password can simply be removed from the system if an employee leaves (along with any confidential or proprietary information belonging to the company!) and then used to set up 1Password for another employee. I hope this helps! :)

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Are you talking about Windows/Mac desktops of mobiles @kzb0524?

Desktop licenses purchased through the Agile Web Store are just license codes. They are not explicitly tied to a user account, so when a user leaves you just re-use the license code.

The trickier part of this is mobile devices as the licenses are tied to the Apple/Google Play Store accounts. If you want let employees use their own devices then you'll be just have to write off the 1password licence since each device can only be linked one account which will be their personal account.
    If you can use company phones then you can set them up with a company owned account which you can control and use the remote admin tools to wipe the device, even if the employee doesn't return it immediately.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@RichardPayne: Indeed! Mobile licensing is another matter entirely. Thanks for pointing that out!

@kzb0524: Ultimately a lot hinges on how much control the company has over employee's devices. If the employee is using their own hardware, it can be difficult to control licensing, and may be easier to simply make employees responsible for providing their own. For instance, I've never had a company pay for my Windows or Office license, even when both were job requirements.

On the other hand, if the devices are company-owned, they often manage both software and licenses. And in either case, iOS in particular offers tools for deployment and app distribution.

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

For instance, I've never had a company pay for my Windows or Office license, even when both were job requirements.

Really? So you join a company and expect to buy copies of the software needed to do the job? That's a bizarre concept.
    If the company is mandating use of software then it must pay for it.

This discussion has been closed.