Confused about Sharing & Set Up with Wife

Options
PaulG55
PaulG55
Community Member

I have read through many posted but still confused. I currently use 1Password regularly on Mac, iPad and iPhone and my wife wants to start using it. She uses an iPad and iPhone, has her own Apple ID for ICloud but we share the same Apple ID for iTunes and App Store for purchases. Can she have her own Master Password and Vault that sync or do we have to share the same? What is the best way to set up?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You can indeed have completely separate vaults and master passwords. And, if you use separate Apple IDs for iCloud, you will not be able to share data between you by syncing with iCloud. You could share vaults over Dropbox, if you wish.

I should add that if you want to use iCloud, you will have to buy your license for Mac from the Mac App Store.

I'm not sure what you are asking when you ask, "What is the best way to set up?" Are you asking how to install it? I doubt that's your question, since you already have done that for yourself. Let us know what you'd like to do, and someone should be able to help you achieve your goals.

• PaulG55
    PaulG55
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick response. To clarify the last question "What is the best way to set up" how do I create a separate new master password and vault for her? I currently sync by dropbox so that is no issue. Another question comes to mind. Can we share select logins between vaults?

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

My wife and I have this set up. You can make her own vault (it will be a secondary vault) on the Mac, sync it to Dropbox (as a new vault), and then sync that vault on her iPhone and iPad. Now because her vault is the only vault on her iPhone and iPad, it will be a primary vault.

My wife and I use the 1Password on the Mac to share info. You right click on a login and it gives you the option to more, copy, (and something else) for thay login/Password.

The downside. Because her vault on the Mac is a secondary vault, when she logs in to hers, she can't see your stuff, but you can see hers.

Here is info how to set up a secondary vault
    https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/switch-vaults

• Ben
    Options

Hi @PaulG55,

hawkmoth and prime have provided some great info here and hopefully that gets you started. If you need more help though please feel free to write back!

• PaulG55
    PaulG55
    Community Member
    Options

That did it for me! Thank you both!

• Ben
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update.

This discussion has been closed.