New User Queries

dogdog
dogdog
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

I use an Apple MacBook Pro. Thinking of 1Password but have some queries.

1Password Mini is causing me confusion, viz:

1) What can I do with the main 1Password app that I cannot do with 1Password Mini.
2) If 1Password Mini is running (but not the main 1Password App) will 1Password fill in the login details through my web browser (Safari and/or Chrome)?? Or do I need to be logged in to the main 1Password App??
3) If the answer to (2) is yes then as soon as I boot up my Mac and log in to my Mac account then 1Password will provide login details - I do not need to login to 1Password. Have I understood correctly??
4) Can 1Password be used if Safari is in "Private Window" mode and/or Chrome is in "Incognito Mode" (Chrome's private mode??

I would download 1Password from 1Password website rather than via Apple App Store. After the 1Password trial finishes my understanding is that:
(i) If there are less than 25 logins stored them 1Password continues to work with full functionality (including adding and deleting logins) as long as there are less than 25 logins stored.
(ii) If there are more than 25 logins stored the 1Password continues with full functionality but I can no longer add new logins but the existing logins are remembered and will be input by 1Password to web logins.

Have I understood correctly??

[See Megan post on 28-7-2014 https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/27343/what-happen-when-my-1password-trial-end]

Many thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dogdog,

1. I'd say editing items and organising them using folders and tags is easier in the main window compared to 1Password mini. You would probably finding searching easier too. It also is where you would create new vaults and set up syncing - that sort of thing. For day to day filling though 1Password mini is what you will be using.
    2. In terms of your vault being locked or unlocked it's easiest to view 1Password and 1Password mini as being one and the same. The vault can't be locked in one and unlocked in the other and to answer your question all you ever need for filling in a browser is 1Password mini and the 1Password extension, you can keep the main window closed all day if you prefer.
    3. By default 1Password mini is set to always run. This is a configurable option in 1Password's preferences if you look in the General tab. The first time you try to fill you will be asked for your Master Password and then after that it's based on the Auto-lock settings in the Security tab of 1Password's preferences. 1Password mini handles these for both it and the main window so for them to properly work you want to keep 1Password running at all times.
    4. I've never used Safari's Private Window before so I just tried it out, it works fine and I would assume Google Chrome's does too.

Now as for our trial, I suspect you will find our Purchasing, Licensing and Upgrades FAQ page. In there it says the number is 20 items and I've bolded that word as Login items are just one type in 1Password, albeit the most commonly used. You are correct that we will never lock you out of the vault or stop you using those items even after the trial has expired. It's simple, to do is is nothing more than a form of blackmail and we're not like that. Purchasing and applying a licence at that point would of course revert to the working behaviour.

Now you can try the trial and then purchase from MAS if you wish. What happens is we would migrate the vault over when you first launched 1Password (MAS). For a bit more information on this our page on Migrating to the Mac App Store version might prove enlightening.

If you have any follow up questions do please ask :smile:

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Many thanks for your very helpful responses. Just a few follow up queries:

a) after my Mac is switched on 1Password (main App or Mini) will not complete any web page logins until my Master Password has been input. This input of a password keeps 1Password operating subject to Auto-lock settings until Mac is switched off. If Mac is rebooted then I will need to input my Master Password again. Have I understood correctly??

b) Other than the use of iCloud is there any reason to buy 1Password from MAS rather than 1Password website??

c) Is any of my data stored on 1Password servers?? Do I need an internet connection to use 1Password e.g. to access stored passwords etc??

d) After the trial period finishes is 1Password fully functional subject to to the 20 item login limit?? e.g.: would Watchtower continue to work after the trial period finished??

e) After the trial period if I only had 10 login items stored I can still add/delete/amend login items subject to the 20 item limit - have I understood correctly??

Many thanks for your help.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

In reply to your questions:

1. a) You are correct in your assumptions. Unlocking 1P with your master password enables all 1P's facilities. Rebooting your Mac will require you again to enter your master password to enable 1P again. Otherwise you are relying on the auto-lock settings you mention.
    2. b) Not really. Take a look at this knowledge base article "Should I buy 1Password from the Mac App Store or from your website?".
    3. c) No. All your data is stored on your local machine. Of course, if you use one of the Cloud services to sync your data (for which, of course you will need an Internet connection) your 1P data will be stored off your machine...but it's still encrypted and protected by your master password. You do not need an Internet connection to access your 1P data on your machine.
    4. d) I'm guessing that Watchtower will continue to give warnings for the logins you've created during the trial period. However, once that period expires you'll be unable to edit those logins (or other items you've added during the trial period) or to add new items.
    5. e) No—editing will be disabled and I believe you won't be able to add any new items. The latter point is the only one of these replies I'm not completely sure about.

Stephen

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/27343/what-happen-when-my-1password-trial-end]
    specifically the Megan post on 28-7-2014

This post seems to imply that adding/deleting and hence editing is possible after trial expires.

Could an agilebits Team Member please advise the definitive answers to my questions (d) and (e) above.

Many thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

Hi @dogdog,

It turns out our guide needs updating I'm afraid as I've done a little testing and found the following.

Regardless of how many items you have, when the trial expires you will not be able to add any more items or edit the existing ones. You will still be able to access the existing ones though. I'm not sure when this changed so I'll need to ask.

Due to what I had to do to create this test environment I can't say for certain about Watchtower but I believe it will continue to work.

Sorry for the confusion.

ref: DOCS-403

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

Hi @dogdog,

I have another update. It turns out your questions revealed a bug in the trial as my findings aren't what should be happening and the behaviour should more match the document. Until we're released an update though my observed behaviour is what you should expect. Your questioning brought this to light so thank you for that :smile:

ref: OPM-2902

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member

So to clarify:

The intended behaviour is that adding/deleting and hence editing should be possible after trial expires - subject to the limit of 20 login items. Have I understood correctly??

And Watch tower should continue to work for any stored logins - again is this correct??

Any idea of the timing of an update to fix this??

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dogdog,

Watchtower should work, I just can't confirm with my own observations without waiting 30 days but what I'm being told is it shouldn't be affected by the trial expiring. The intended behaviour for adding and editing is now being worked on but I can't say when it will be fixed - sorry. We don't give ETAs for any releases or bug fixes in general.

Regardless though, if you were to download 1Password right now and start a 30 day trial it will work for 30 days and you can continue to access the existing items afterwards, you aren't locked out of the vault even if you can't edit.

I hope that helps but if you have any more questions do please ask.

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member

OK - I understand. For various reasons I wanted a trial that would last for longer than 30 days which I would effectively get (with a limited number of logins) if the behaviour after the trial expired was as intended.

Is there a way to get notified when the fixed version is released - an email, subscribe to notifications etc etc.

Many thanks

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dogdog,

We have a couple of options here I believe.

Any of those should inform you of a new version of 1Password for Mac. When you hear there is a new version out and if it doesn't specifically mention if this is fixed you have a couple of options. There is our 1Password for Mac changelog which will detail a lot of the improvements or bug fixes and if that still isn't enlightening then please do feel free to post and simply ask "hey, did you get that resolved yet".

I hope that helps.

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member

I see that 1Password version 5.3 has just been released on 6-4-2015.

Does this version resolve the issue as above??

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dogdog,

OPM-2902 has been flagged as resolved in 1Password 5.3 for Mac so yes, it should resolve the above issue.

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member

Thanks.

Can I use 1Password in a Safari Private Window??

Can I use 1Password in an Incognito Window (equivalent to Safari Private Window)??

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dogdog,

I believe the 1Password extension is enabled by default in Safari Private Windows.
    In Chrome's extension settings, there is a box you can check to allow the 1Password extension in Incognito.

• dogdog
    dogdog
    Community Member

I have installed 1Password on Mac (OS X Yosemite). I have added 1Password extension to Chrome. 1Password Preferences are as default other than I have activated Watchtower.

In Chrome extensions I have enabled 1Password extension in Incognito mode.
    In Chrome extensions there is one other option for 1Password, viz: "Allow access to file URL's". Do I need to enable this?? What is its significance?? What does it do in respect to 1Password??

Many thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dogdog,

I'm not a big user of Chrome but I believe that's to do with some potential signing in to the Google Chrome browser using your Google Account. The URLs start with chrome:// but it's never something I've done.

I know we definitely had troubles with those URLs in the past so it might be related to that. If you do use Google to sync your bookmarks for example you should be able to test this theory by seeing if you can use 1Password to log in for you, firstly with the option disabled and then with it enabled.

This discussion has been closed.