Create Vaults with pro upgrade [We apologize for the misleading statement, must create on desktops]

Options
eweston
eweston
Community Member
edited October 2014 in iOS

First of all, I love your app. I just tried it out a yesterday and it's amazing. Also so much is included in the free version it doesn't feel like it's a teaser trying to force a person into buying the full app. But I liked it so much and I was interested in shared vaults that I did pay for the pro upgrade.
I purchased the pro upgrade to 1Password 5 specifically so I could created a shared vault. I try to set it up and get this error message:

"No .agilekeychain or .opvault found in Dropbox"

Then I came across this in the user guide:
"Note: New vaults must be created from either 1Password 4 for Windows or Mac. Once a vault is created and synced to your iOS device, you can use it the same way you use your primary vault."

But before I purchased the pro upgrade I had read this In the app under Settings > Pro Features, it says:
"Multiple Vaults
Create sets of items and share them with others"

Since this is listed under pro features for this app it gives the district impression that you can "create sets of items and share them with others"

This seems to be misleading. You can "create sets of items" but you need to have the $50 dollar desktop version to create a shared vault so you can then "share them [those "sets of items"] with others."

As I said the app is amazing and $9.99 is a fair price. I'm sure $50 is a fair price for the desktop version. I would just ask that it be a little more clear the pro version will not actually let you create a shared vault. My intention was to purchase the desktop version down the road but I feel a little duped now. I was already telling my friends about the app but this has diminished my enthusiasm a bit. I would have no issue if it had just been clear upfront the desktop version is required to make a shared vault. The fine print seems buried pages and pages into an online document.
Am I missing something? Is there a way to create a vault on iOS with Pro upgrade?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Well not ideal but maybe you could use the trial version of 1Password 4 OS X to create the secondary vault, set up synching and then remove the program I suppose.

• eweston
    eweston
    Community Member
    Options

I actually found a pretty great work around. It seems to be working without a hitch so far. My primary account was syncing with iCloud so with in settings on 1password 5 I changed it to Dropbox sync. That created a folder "1password.agilekeychain" in the folders Apps > 1Password. Then I changed my primary account back to sync with iCloud. I then opened Dropbox and renamed "1password.agilekeychain" folder to "Family.agilekeychain" After that using 1Password 5 on iOS I created a second vault, selected Dropbox sync (the only option) and when I pointed it to my drop box folder it found the "Family.agilekeychain" it prompted me for my password and added a second vault named "Family". I now have a primary vault syncing with iCloud and a family vault syncing with Dropbox. Right now they both use the same password, which is fine for my purposes but I would assume they could be changed easily enough

• eweston
    eweston
    Community Member
    Options

Any reference to 1Password or 1Password 5 reveres to the iOS 8 version which is all I have

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

Clever!

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi guys,

@eweston:

This seems to be misleading. You can "create sets of items" but you need to have the $50 dollar desktop version to create a shared vault so you can then "share them [those "sets of items"] with others."

I agree, it wasn't our intention to mislead with that statement. We will update the string to reflect it can pull in multiple vaults from the desktop apps or even do it better by providing you the ability to create vaults via the iOS app in the future but no promise on the latter.

I actually found a pretty great work around.

That's a brilliant workaround but we can't officially sanction it as such at the moment because of a few things:

1. Keep in mind that you shouldn't share this with other folks because the data files are identical, meaning the master password is the same for both vaults. If you share this second vault, then they'd know what your master password is for the primary vault.
    2. Renaming the data file doesn't rename it internally and you might see some glitches. We'll test against this and see if we need to make some changes here to allow this.
  • DragonKat
    DragonKat
    Community Member
    Options

I upgraded primarily so I could have multiple vaults so I could keep my father's and my grandmother's info separate. I had been enjoying the use of 1password so far better than my previous password manager. However, now I find out that I have to spend another $50 in order to use one of the features that supposedly came with the upgrade to Pro. Glad I am not the only one to feel mislead.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @DragonKat,

I just want to apologize here. As Mike mentions above, we really did not intend to mislead people with that statement.

What I can suggest for you here is to make use of our free 30-day trial for the desktop software. It's available on our downloads page. Simply create the vaults that you need and sync them to Dropbox. You can take advantage of our extensions and the ease of creating items on the desktop for the 30-day period, and then if you don't love it, you're welcome to uninstall and simply continue using the iOS app.

I know it's not a perfect solution, but I do hope it helps, while we work on making that language less misleading.

• P63D
    P63D
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    I have the same problem as above. I paid for the Pro version and now I am not able to create the additional Vaults. And in my case the desktop workaround solution does not help me because I just want to be able to do what the Pro version said it would do directly on my iPhone. Given that it seems that you guys still do not have a solution for this and even more worrying it sounds like that you may not necessarily be developing that solution I want to ask how can I get my money back ? Unless you tell me that there will be a solution offered very soon that will not include paying for another device install, I definitely feel I was mislead and would like to be reimbursed for this.
    I look forward to your comments.

• MikeT
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi @P63D,

We do have a 30-day money back promise, please email us at support+forum@agilebits.com with the link to this thread and we'll explain how you can get your money back if you're not happy with 1Password.

Unfortunately, there is no solution because the statement we wrote was incorrect, the app only lets you view multiple vaults created with the desktop apps. We are going to explain this better in an update soon.

We do want to let you create vaults in the iOS app in the future but we cannot promise anything here nor do we have any timeframe.

• Ho-Chen Shih
    Ho-Chen Shih
    Community Member
    Options

I suggest Agilebits make the create vaults and sharable available. English version I am not sure but I do not think the statement is misleading in Japanese version. It clearly says 'create vaults and share with other users' with exclamation mark... ! I bought this apps among many many other password management applications hoping solving my password management problem with my family like many others.

(https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/dp/fh014jznf1bx.png "")

Lastly, like others, i like your concept of the application and many function of your applications so far and I want to comit to your application.. but, the careless statement like attached in everycopy of ios 1password really damage what I trust and you can avoid this easy. Go! Agilebits go! I am sure you can rule the area easy.

001.PNG 139.8K
  • Ben
    Options

It is on the to-do list to make it possible to create vaults on iOS in the future. :) Thanks for the continued feedback.

• Martino89
    Martino89
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @bwoodruff and agilebits team,

is there some update about implementing the "create vaults on iOS" feature?
    I got into situation like other people in this thread - I've bought Pro features in iPhone app to be able to create vaults within 1Password iPhone app.
    Unfortunately, information on your website is still misleading and lead me to by Pro features for feature that doesn't really exists.
    However, I would not to take my money back and go away from 1Password, I would be happier if you could add this functionality to iOS version of 1Password.
    Specifically:
    Possibility to create additional vaults in 1Password directly on iPhone.
    Or possibility to import additional vaults to 1Password on iPhone created with desktop version of 1Password via WiFi sync, iTunes or some another way such that my data will not go through internet.

Thank you

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Martino89,

Or possibility to import additional vaults to 1Password on iPhone created with desktop version of 1Password via WiFi sync, iTunes or some another way such that my data will not go through internet.

This part is already possible with 1Password for Mac. :)

Thanks!

• Martino89
    Martino89
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff, thanks for quick reply.
    I was trying to do this with 1Password for Windows and I was unsuccessful.
    Could you please describe the process how to do this?
    Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Martino89,

It is not currently possible on the Windows platform. Windows has not yet had the new database structure and WiFi sync server implemented. That is in the works.

Sorry I don't have a better answer at the moment, but it is something we're working on.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.