Feature idea/discussion: Two factor authentication support

Options
maxg
maxg
Community Member

For those of you unfamiliar with two factor authentication see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two_factor_authentication

More and more services are beginning to support (and even require) two factor authentication (or 2FA). I personally have around 10 different logins I must use 2FA for on a regular basis. This usually consists of me getting up to find my phone, opening an app, then unlocking 1 password on my computer, finding the login I want, going back to the phone and getting the 2FA code, going back to the computer, typing it in to the form/program I'm using, and then using 1password to fill in/paste the password in.

If I lose my phone or want to restore it, I lose all of my 2FA tokens. I either have to go to those 10 accounts before-hand and turn 2FA off until I get a new phone/restore or use emergency codes to get into these accounts.

I was thinking that it could be incredibly handy to have 2FA token support built into 1password. It would be software/vault-based (instead of hardware-based) so anywhere you used 1password (be it windows/phone/mac/etc) the same 2FA tokens could be generated. Possibly even linking 2FA tokens in 1password to specific logins, so if I'm on google.com for instance, I can auto-fill my google password and see the current token for that account as well.

What do you all think? Does this defeat the point of two-factor auth? Is this too far outside the scope of what 1password should be used for?

Comments

This discussion has been closed.