Proper icons for credit card items [Known issue, working on a fix]

smallcheese
smallcheese
Community Member
edited February 2015 in iOS

Did I imagine this? I thought at some point I saw the accurate icons for credit card items in the iOS version of 1P, Amex, Visa and MasterCard etc. Now they are just the generic cards as before. Have I been dreaming?! This is useful for distinguishing at a glance!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smallcheese ,

This is a known issue that our developers are working to solve. I'll let them know you're keen to see a fix just as soon as possible! I agree, it's great to have those icons to help you pick your credit card easily.

ref: OPI-754

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

Hey

This was fixed but has gone missing with the last two beta updates.

Tom

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

Ok, I don't know what happened but these are back again... Possibly an app restart.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Really? I only have generic icons for credit card in the list of entries. The proper icons show in each record, though.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

The records themselves have always been ok for me. The list icons have been the issue. Just opened the app again and they've gone back to generic icons again now. This is weird.

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Can confirm that they're generic icons here as well. Rarely touch the credit card side in the iOS app so this is the first time I've seen this.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

Hi folks,

I can confirm that on launching the app I have seen both generic and proper credit card icons appear through no change of beta software - these were multiple launches during the same day with no updates being applied in between.

Currently I am stuck with the generics.

Cheers,
    Tom

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi everyone,

Thanks for keeping an eye on this issue! Unfortunately I don't have an update for you at this time. I'll let the team know that you'd love to see rich icons here as soon as possible. :)

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

They were fine yesterday right up until the evening, and now this morning they are gone!

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Unlike @smallcheese I can confirm that, currently, the rich credit card icons show correctly here in beta 503022

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Only generic icons appear in my list of credit cards. Rich icons appear in the records themselves. Also beta 503022

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smallcheese and @cjbulow,

Could you please take a screenshot of the rich icons you're seeing in the list view of 1Password? As far as I know, our devs haven't quite been able to squash this issue yet, so we expect that you see the generic icons at this time.

Hi @hawkmoth,

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, rich icons should be displaying in the items themselves.

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

Not at the moment, only getting the generic ones!

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

Same here now; has reverted to generic.

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

The rich icons were there this morning, after a 'phone re-boot. They've since disappeared & weren't they when I saw the request for a screen-shot. Tried another re-boot but so far can't kick them into appearing again, sorry.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smallcheese and @cjbulow ,

No need to worry too much about this. I'm just a bit surprised if you're seeing the rich icons, since devs haven't solved this issue yet. In any case, we are looking into it, and we'll see if we can't get those rich icons appearing in the list view. :)

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

If I see them in the future, will try remember to take a screen shot to prove we're not high on pharmaceutical grade hallucinogenics.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow,

Oh, I trust that you're likely as sane (or sane-r) than I am! Hopefully we can have this properly resolved soon so that this becomes a non-issue. :)

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

I had this show up on my iPad a couple of days ago. No when I look in the Credit Cards list view they are all back to generic. This feels like Easter Egg behaviour!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smallcheese ,

Thanks for that! I'll pass this along to our team. :)

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Beta v23 now shows rich icons. How long that'll last...

As I've a lot of almost visible numbers, I'd rather not post the screen shot here.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Beta 23 does not show me rich icons in the list view for credit cards, either on iPhone or iPad.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow ,

Thanks for letting me know! I've got no updates on this issue to share at this time, but I'll be sure to post in this thread as soon as we do get this bug squashed.

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

And after force closing 1PW, then re-starting, the icons revert to generic.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Here is a workaround for anyone who is impatient with waiting for rich icons to show in the list pf credit cards. On the Mac application, open a credit car record and double click on the rich icon it contains. An edit screen appears for the icon - just click Done and then save the record. You've just converted a rich icon to a custom one, which shows correctly in the list.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

Hi @Hawkmoth,

That's a pretty handy suggestion! I can confirm that it works, although for me (using 1Password 5 Version 5.3.BETA-22 (530022) on the Mac to edit the icons) the icons are re-sized slightly. I guess it depends on whether your priorities are viewing those icons, or having them displayed consistently.

demo data shown

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

I can (I think) persistently regain access to the rich icons via a relatively nuclear option. I shifted my 1Password folder around in Dropbox and as such my iPhone gave me a scary warning from 1Password about not merging the vaults, even though the detailed analysis seemed to show them as 100% identical. I therefore reset all settings and data and re-synced, and the icons were there. I repeated this on my iPad with the same results.

I thought this may help as being able to reliably make them appear could give you some indication of what happens to make them disappear.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smallcheese,

Thanks for doing some extra testing here ... but I'm not sure I can recommend shifting your data folder around in Dropbox.

Now, the reason rich icons are not appearing in the list view is that in this view, your datafile is still encrypted. 1Password has enough information to display the item title, but it doesn't have access to the item details and so it cannot display the specific card icon because it just doesn't know what type of card it is (that information is stored within the item's details and accessible only when the item is decrypted in the details view.)

Our developers are looking for a way to give 1Password a bit more information here so that it can display the correct icon.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

@Megan - That isn't a very satisfying explanation, I think. Why do rich icons show in my list of logins then? I'm using the opvault format, so shouldn't everything still be encrypted there too?

• smallcheese
    smallcheese
    Community Member

@Megan For info, 1Password Mac dealt with the folder change just fine - the folder description automatically re-arranged itself before I even had chance to check. One the iOS devices it wasn't perfect, but the delete and restore sorted it nicely.

It was a necessary evil as I had too many root folders in Dropbox.

As far as the explanation to why the icons doesn't appear goes, are you saying items are encrypted until they are clicked on in order to display the right thing in the display pane? That doesn't seem to follow Login items which auto download their rich icons without needing to be clicked on. It's also different behaviour to the Mac version where this problem doesn't exist.

I know this whole issue of icons is trivial but I'm now interested in the encryption behaviour!

This discussion has been closed.