Feature Request: SugarSync support

jkratz
jkratz
Community Member
Just curious if there was any plan to add cloud services other than dropbox for sync support. I was looking at sugarsync since they offer more features at a lower price than dropbox.

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    jkratz wrote:

Just curious if there was any plan to add cloud services other than dropbox for sync support. I was looking at sugarsync since they offer more features at a lower price than dropbox.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason,

The last post I saw from Roustem regarding this was he wanted to add support * IN THE FUTURE * but they (team) don't give time frames. Sorry I don't have any concrete news to give you.

Indecently you could always use a free account from Dropbox for your 1P syncing and still use sugarsync, for all your other needs. That may be an option for you maybe.
  • jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member
    thightower wrote:

Hi Jason,

The last post I saw from Roustem regarding this was he wanted to add support * IN THE FUTURE * but they (team) don't give time frames. Sorry I don't have any concrete news to give you.

Indecently you could always use a free account from Dropbox for your 1P syncing and still use sugarsync, for all your other needs. That may be an option for you maybe.

Thanks for the reply. Wanting to add support in the future is good enough for me. Support for new features (Chrome plugin, etc) has been excellent. I do actually use dropbox right now and will continue to for 1password sync. Right now I'm using 1pass on mac/win/ipad/iphone and its working wonderfully everywhere with dropbox.

I'm trying the free 5gb sugarsync and its pretty nice. More features than dropbox (and more free space obviously) and they have better tiers (and prices) for their pay-for options.

Thanks!

Jason
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 2010
    jkratz wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Wanting to add support in the future is good enough for me. Support for new features (Chrome plugin, etc) has been excellent. I do actually use dropbox right now and will continue to for 1password sync. Right now I'm using 1pass on mac/win/ipad/iphone and its working wonderfully everywhere with dropbox.

I'm trying the free 5gb sugarsync and its pretty nice. More features than dropbox (and more free space obviously) and they have better tiers (and prices) for their pay-for options.

Thanks!

Jason

Sounds great, Jason! I might have to take a look again. I thought I had remembered SugarSync being not as affordable. Oh yeah, I just went to their website and remembered that it was because they don't advertise the free 5 GB plan. How did you find it?

Edit: Never mind, I was looking at this page. On their home page, it's easy to get to the 5 GB option.
  • jkratz
    jkratz
    Community Member
    RobYoder wrote:

Sounds great, Jason! I might have to take a look again. I thought I had remembered SugarSync being not as affordable. Oh yeah, I just went to their website and remembered that it was because they don't advertise the free 5 GB plan. How did you find it?

Edit: Never mind, I was looking at this page. On their home page, it's easy to get to the 5 GB option.

Took me a minute to find the free option too. They don't make it *that* obvious ;)
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 2010
    jkratz wrote:

Took me a minute to find the free option too. They don't make it *that* obvious ;)

Yeah, sorry about that. For anyone else reading this, you go to the home page and then click the "Sign up" link at the top. The free plan is underneath the three paid plans.
  • Hi Guys, I'd like to offer our engineering support to have a SugarSync integration for your product. We have very good API to enable this fairly quickly (https://www.sugarsync.com/developer)
    We will have also the advantage that you can store the password file anywhere in your file system.
    Can you please get back to me to have a quick chat on the topic?

Domingo Mihovilovic
    domingo@sugarsync.com
    VP Engineering, SugarSync

• Hi Guys, I'd like to offer our engineering support to have a SugarSync integration for your product. We have very good API to enable this fairly quickly (https://www.sugarsync.com/developer)
    We will have also the advantage that you can store the password file anywhere in your file system.
    Can you please get back to me to have a quick chat on the topic?

Domingo Mihovilovic
    domingo@sugarsync.com
    VP Engineering, SugarSync

Thanks for contacting us Domingo! Could you send that to support@agile.ws so that we can reply there?

Thanks!

• Hi Guys, I'd like to offer our engineering support to have a SugarSync integration for your product.

As a sugarysync and 1password user I too would like to see sugarsync support added (its working well syncing my 1password files between my macs and windows machines - except for those machines that I specifically exclude that folder - a feature that Dropbox seems to think is not wanted by people...).

Kudos to you Domingo for pointing out the API - I wish you would do this for more products as its annoying that there are so many iphone apps with dropbox support but not sugarsync support (so you obviously need to do more work like this to make it happen).

Tim
  • TimM wrote:

As a sugarysync and 1password user I too would like to see sugarsync support added (its working well syncing my 1password files between my macs and windows machines - except for those machines that I specifically exclude that folder - a feature that Dropbox seems to think is not wanted by people...).

Actually, selective sync is currently supported by Dropbox, and I use the feature myself. However, we are always open to more ideas that would improve 1Password's appeal. SugarSync is on the radar, but I don't have a timeframe or guarantee for supporting it on iOS.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • RobYoder wrote:

Actually, selective sync is currently supported by Dropbox

That's good to know - when I last looked at DropBox a while ago, it along with not having to root everything in a single folder were the most requested features which seemed to be taking ages to implement. As SugarSync has had these for ages, i've stuck with it (and they've been pretty good too).

Tim
  • I'd just like to also voice support for 1Password working with SugarSync. If you can work with Domingo and the SugarSync engineering team to find a way around the file bundle limitation that would be awesome. I have a family license for 1Password and want to sync across Mac, Windows, and Android. We use SugarSync for it's superior feature set (especially around granular security control of sharing documents) versus DropBox ... and running 2 of these sync programs on a machine concurrently is just asking for trouble :-)

I'm enjoying using 1Password and look forward to possible SugarSync support!
  • Another vote in favor of adding Sugar Sync support for the iPhone. I tried Dropbox and Sugar Sync for extended periods and ultimately settled on Sugar Sync for its extended feature set and great interface. Wi-fi sync works for now but I would strongly prefer an "always on" sync solution without having to run Dropbox and Sugar Sync at the same time.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, Dave and Paul! Thanks for letting us know this would be useful to you as well.
  • gwpass
    gwpass
    Community Member
    I'd like to confirm I would greatly value 1password - sugarsync integration
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for letting us know you would appreciate this as well, gwpass!

As Rob already mentioned, there is not a time frame for when or if SugarSync support will be added to our iOS apps, but many users are reporting success with using SugarSync to sync their 1Password data on their desktop computers. The only thing to be aware of is that the 1Password data file is a bundle, and, according to the SugarSync documentation: "File bundles and Resource Forks are not supported. These files can become corrupted if synced." Therefore, such a setup is not supported.

At this time, Dropbox is our recommended method of synchronization across all platforms: Mac, Windows, Linux (with 1PasswordAnywhere), iOS, and Android.

I hope that clarifies. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Thanks!
  • tarma
    edited March 2011
    +1 for SugarSync support :)

Bought 1Password today and I've been using SugarSync for a while now. Would be great to be able to sync my Macs 1Passwords through SugarSync! Dropbox is crap :P

Edit: BTW, shouldn't this topic be in "1Password 3 (Leopard and Snow Leopard)" it's in the iPhone forums now :D
  • WhyNoSugarSync
    WhyNoSugarSync
    Community Member
    Agile guys, any update on this? I'm in the trial mode and like everything - but I've got to be able to sync across all platforms to commit.

Regarding resource forks - I guess I don't understand why you would want to use platform specific features for a cross platform product. There are many ways to skin this cat that would work well on OSX/iOS/Windows right?

So I guess the most important question will be: Is SugarSync support being worked on now or is it still in the thinking about the possibility stages?

Thanks -

stu wrote:

Hi tarma,

Thanks for the vote! As Khad mentioned, SugarSync doesn't currently support file bundles and resource forks, and as the 1Password.agilekeychain file is a file bundle, we therefore can't officially support SugarSync for syncing with our iOS versions of 1Password.

There's also the question of the APIs available to developers to integrate SugarSync with apps, and while we know SugarSync do have some APIs available, we can't go any further until the first issue is resolved, and that's not something we can change, it would have to come from SugarSync themselves.

I think the reason this is now in the iPhone forum is because the mobile apps are where we'd have to actually add the syncing support, the desktop client can just be told to move your data to the SugarSync folder, but again this is *NOT* recommended or supported.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer, but I wanted to be realistic about why we can't currently support SugarSync.
  • As a SugarSync user I am also looking forward to this.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Welcome to the forums, WhyNoSugarSync and limbik.

Thanks for your passion for this!

Unfortunately, the situation has not changed. SugarSync still does not support file bundles as far as I know. Dropbox does, and it works great across all supported platforms. I don't have anything further to announce right now but sync is one of the top priorities for 1Password 4.

WhyNoSugarSync, in order to work around SugarSync's lack of support for file bundles — its not resource forks that are a problem — we would need to completely rewrite 1Password's data format and update 1Password for Mac, Windows, iPhone, iPad, Android, and Windows Phone 7. Or…SugarSync could simply support an important aspect of Mac OS X (i.e., every single Mac application is a file bundle). ;-)

I also don't know enough about their mobile APIs to speak to that aspect. It may not even be technically possible at the moment. I can't say for certain. I do know that our developers are working hard on syncing for the future of 1Password, though.

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Thanks!
  • jflower04
    jflower04
    Community Member
    I have been using SugarSync and Dropbox together for about 6 months. The only item in my dropbox is my 1Password database. I can't wait until you add support for syncing with SugarSync! It looks like SugarSync has good documentation about their API: http://www.sugarsync.com/developer
  • bswins
    edited July 2011
    jflower04 wrote:

I have been using SugarSync and Dropbox together for about 6 months. The only item in my dropbox is my 1Password database. I can't wait until you add support for syncing with SugarSync! It looks like SugarSync has good documentation about their API: http://www.sugarsync.com/developer

Hello jflower04 and welcome to the Forums!

As Khad stated in his post on June 19th, SugartSync does not support file bundles or resource forks. Without support for this file type, 1Password would have to be completely rewritten in order to work with SS. So, at this time, it is not possible to use the solution with 1P.

However, neither Khad or I are developers, so we cannot say for certain what the future holds or whether using SugarSync's APIs (thanks for the link) would allow cross platform communication.

Regardless, thanks for posting your support for SugarSync, and I'm glad you are able to use Dropbox for your 1P data for now.

Cheers!

Brandt

P.S. You may find the following article informative. It discusses 1P's file bundle and resource fork requirement: 1P data file sync solutions
  • Chris Peden
    Chris Peden
    Community Member
    I want to second my increasing distaste for dropbox. Their security problems are becoming too common and their TOS is not encouraging. I would like to see any of the following options for cloud sync options

iCloud, SugarSync, Box.net, SpiderOak, Waula
  • guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    Do you know if Sugarsync did any progress on that point?
  • guillaumeserton
    guillaumeserton
    Community Member
    Just sent an email to Domingo (SugarSync), to have news about that and if we can hope to have the support of file bundles in the coming version 2.0 of SugarSync.
This discussion has been closed.