Import passwords from Google Chrome

Options
Lucd
Lucd
Community Member

Hello,
Is there any easy way to import the passwords already stored on my Google Chrome browser into 1Password for IOS?

Thanks.
Lucian

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Lucian ( @Lucd ),

Unfortunately, there is no way to import passwords into 1Password 5 for iOS. The desktop version of 1Password is able to import passwords in .csv format, but I'm not sure if Google Chrome offers a way to export your database.

If you have a desktop computer, I do have a workaround for you:

• Snag a free 30-day trial of 1Password from our downloads page.
    • Make sure you install the browser extension for Chrome from the extension download page
    • Whenever 1Password notices a new log in, it will prompt you to save this data. This will allow you to build your database without having to copy and paste. :)

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I do hope this helps!

• Lucd
    Lucd
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,
    Thanks for these suggestions.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Lucd,

Always happy to help! :)

• James Calascione
    James Calascione
    Community Member
    Options

REALLY !!!!!!! for the price and considering Google Chrome is a well used browser I thought this would have been a feature considering the price !!! I have just spent the better part of 2 hours trying to get passwords uploaded into your app.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback, James.

• jonchui
    jonchui
    Community Member
    Options

Don't know if this helps, but I was able to import my Google Chrome on Mac passwords, because they store them in the keychain.

Just followed the onepassword-utilities steps for "OS X Keychain"

https://github.com/AgileBits/onepassword-utilities/tree/master/convert_to_1p4

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jonchui, thanks for letting us know that worked for you! It should indeed be helpful for folks in a similar situation who find this thread. :)

• mattl320
    mattl320
    Community Member
    Options

What a drag. I was using a very popular app for my passswords before coming to 1password. The only reason I left them is because their online db was hacked. I was unaffected, but unwilling to stick around. Still, the app would automatically pull all of my passwords out of chrome, firefox, ie, and opera. This saved me a huge amount of time. Also, it found other passwords not stored in the browser at all. This app is 3 times the price of that one. Just saying. I like 1password, but you guys should get to work and add this functionality imo.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

My purely personal view is that I'd rather spend extra time using my stored passwords than entrust them to any third party for safe-keeping, for the very reason you mention. :)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattl320 ,

Could you provide a bit more detail here on your set-up? This thread is posted in the iOS forum, but it seems to include a lot of desktop-related conversation. It is important to note that, while we can't do much for importing data directly onto iOS, the desktop version of 1Password does have an import feature, and there is an import script available that can translate the data from many popular password managers into 1Password-specific format, if the direct import doesn't support your particular password manager. You can read more about import in our Knowledgebase.

This discussion has been closed.