American Express

Options
nwarmour
nwarmour
Community Member

For the past three months Amex's site regularly requires to set a new password. I have talked with their tech support who assures me there is "no problem." This has happened with such regularity that I am now using a self-created password, not one generated by 1Password. I use Safari and seem to have no problem with all my other log ins (Discover Card is also giving me some similar issues). What's happening and how can this be fixed?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nwarmour,

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, are you saying that somehow 1Password is causing a regular demand for a new password to be set or that somehow 1Password is locking you out? If you could supply a little more detail please and we'll certainly do our best to assist. When it relates to a particular site the URL can often be useful.

Please do post back with some more details so we can try and help :smile:

• nwarmour
    nwarmour
    Community Member
    Options

I don't know if it is Amex or 1 Passport. However, regularly when I either use a keyboard shortcut or copy and paste my password, Amex requires me to go through a long process of setting a "new" password (which I always reset to the old password). I've called Amex and they suggested I do the following: 1) Type "American Express" into the browser search bar; and, 2) Don't auto load password. Even when I do this, Amex regularly doesn't accept my password and I have to reset it. Yesterday, Amex suggested I type in my password. To do so, I had to create one which is less complex (and less secure) then the ones 1Password creates. Is this an Amex or 1Passport issue? How can I solve it?

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I don't know about Amex, because I don't have an account there, but I am aware that there are financial institution web sites that do not permit pasting in passwords. They demand that passwords be typed in manually. This short sighted kind of policy encourages just what you describe: the use of less secure passwords, thereby reducing security, not enhancing it.

I don''t work for AgileBits, but I would be very surprised if 1Password has anything to do with this.

• nwarmour
    nwarmour
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your comment. I'm interested inn what AgileBits has to say as well.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi @nwarmour,

I'm sorry you're having this problem with your Amex login! To be honest, I'm not sure 1Password is causing the trouble here. You mentioned that the same issue happens if you copy & paste your password - as far as the website is concerned, you could be copying and pasting that password from anywhere, so what matters at that point is the password being copied & pasted, and not the app you're copying it from. (If you want, you can test this by changing your Amex password back to one that you generate with 1Password, then try to log into the site by copying/pasting the password from 1Password to a text file, then copy/paste it from the text file into the Amex login site.)

I do have a couple ideas why this might be happening. When the Amex site asks you to create a new password, does it tell you the one you entered was incorrect? If the reason for having to reset the password on the Amex site is because it isn't accepting the password being entered, then it sounds like the password saved in 1Password is different than the one saved in your account on the website. In that case, please make sure you follow the steps in this User Guide article to change your login password.

Another possibility is that the Amex site has an "invisible cap" on the characters that can be typed in the password field. If you used the 1Password extension to generate a longer password than the site allows, that site may have silently ignored the extra characters that exceeded the limit. In case this is the problem, you'll want to find out what restrictions that site has for their passwords, and then check to see if your generated password fits within those restrictions. If it doesn't, you can change your password on that site, and adjust the password generator appropriately.

One thing you mentioned seems a bit odd to me:

Yesterday, Amex suggested I type in my password. To do so, I had to create one which is less complex (and less secure) then the ones 1Password creates.

Why did you need to create a less complex password in order to manually type it into their login page? This makes me wonder if (as I suggested above) your generated password was longer or more complex than what Amex allows on their site. I definitely recommend finding out what restrictions they have for their passwords, in case your generated password did not fit within those restrictions.

Please let us know how it all goes and what you're able to find out about their password restrictions. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.