Why so expensive??

Options
Eves33
Eves33
Community Member

why is 1password for Mac so expensive compared to for phone/ipad? (eg $64.99 for Mac vs $12.99 for iphone - incl pro features)

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The current AgileBits web store price is US$49.99, not $64.99. And the Pro features for iOS are US$9.99, not $12.99. i don't know about pricing I other countries, but are the pieces you see are actually that much higher than the published prices?

I doubt that this answers your fundamental question, but your state prices seem elevated to me.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hawkmoth, my guess is that those are indeed the prices in the Mac and iOS App Stores in another country (i.e. not the US). Our own web store always shows the price in US dollars, but Apple's stores show the price in the currency of that country, so it will be different depending on the exchange rate.

@Eves33, the answer to your question is basically that 1Password for Mac is much more versatile and full-featured than 1Password for iOS. And the reason for that is largely because of the difference between operating systems: there are a lot of restrictions on iOS which don't exist on Mac OS X. Apps with different capabilities are priced differently. I'm sure there are some other things that factor into the price, but that's the main reason.

I hope that helps to answer your question, but please let us know if you need anything else - we're always glad to help! :)

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

@Eves33 - My apologies for that comment about pricing, I hadn't thought about the point @Drew_AG made.

• justme12
    justme12
    Community Member
    Options

Price of both iOS version and Mac version of 1PW seems reasonable to me. Been using/updating them for years.

Many hundreds of dollars for a smartphone, many hundreds if not thousands for a computer and 1PW is too expensive?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@justme12, thanks so much for your support over the years! In my experience, most people who purchase 1Password find that it's very much worth the price.

Also, to be fair, I'm not sure the OP was complaining about the price of 1Password, but was just curious why the Mac version costs more than the iOS version.

We're always glad to help if there are more questions about this! :)

This discussion has been closed.