Unable to use because of hot key conflict.

ynotcreative
ynotcreative
Community Member
edited November 2014 in 1Password in the Browser

I purchased 1Password last week and I am finding an issue that makes it unusable for me. Unfortunately, one of the most needed features was the Safari integration. The problem is that your extension breaks a critical functionality I have with Adobe CC apps. It disables the ability to move around the canvas with the spacebar. I have tried various steps to work around the problem, but in the end, I seem to have come to an impasse. The only way to get the Adobe functionality back is to disable the web extensions. I have to manage a ton of online accounts, so I was really looking forward to finally making the jump to it, but after buying the iOS version and now the Mac desktop version, I am realizing that unless I can have one without sacrificing the other, I am going to have to let 1Password go. I want to use 1Password, and as expensive as 1Password is, I think it should work with common software. Also, if we can get this working, I have a lot of others that could benefit from 1Password and would be happy to recommend it.

Obviously, you need some details:

• MacPro 2x quad core
  • 24GB
  • 20TB
  • ATI Radeon HD 5770 (1gb) and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (512mb)
  • 24" screen and 22" screen (each on own card)
  • Mac OS X 10.9.5 (we will not run 10.10)
  • 1Password 4.x
  • Adobe CC 2014 full
  • Safari 7.1
  • Chrome (latest)
  • Parallels

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2014

Hi @ynotcreative‌

I'm sorry to hear the extension is interfering with Adobe's CC apps.

I suspect a good few, if not most of the developing team probably don't have this application suite so could you describe in as much detail as possible please what you observe (are we interfering with just a keypress of the space key?). It might be we ask for a diagnostic report too but I'll leave that for the developers with a better sense of what to do for that decision.

Hopefully we can get this resolved for you.

• Hi @ynotcreative‌,

Hrmm.... can you elaborate on the problems you're seeing with the hotkeys? Which hotkeys specifically are you referring to? cmd-\? cmd-opt-\? You mentioned the spacebar, but off the top of my head I can't think of a hotkey we use that makes use of the spacebar.

When you're experiencing these problems, which app is front-most (i.e. which app's name is top left on your main display)? What key combo are you using, what do you expect will happen, and what actually happens? We can try to reproduce the issue here and see where the problem lies.

It's certainly not our intention to conflict with any apps, nevermind ones with wide install bases like Adobe CC, so we'll definitely look into this if you provide us with more information.

Thanks

Rick

• ynotcreative
    ynotcreative
    Community Member

Tank you for the quick response. As far as I can tell, it is just the spacebar. I looked all around 1Password for a place to shut it off, but could not find it. I thought I had it narrowed down to either the Safari extension or the mini-app (menubar). I will do some further checking today.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ynotcreative‌

When I'm not hanging out in the 1Password forums, I'm usually doing something or another in Photoshop, and I have yet to experience a conflict with Photoshop's keyboard shortcuts (there are a LOT!) and 1Password. By any chance have you changed any of the keyboard shortcuts - either in 1Password or in Photoshop?

Thanks for helping us to track this down. :)

• ramatsu
    ramatsu
    Community Member

For years, 1P has intermittently (just infrequently enough that I always have to go on a Google hunt) conflicted with Photoshop's and Illustrator's spacebar tool modifiers. There are a number of other random apps/extensions that sometimes cause this as well, so given Adobe's penchant for coding based on the convenience of their developers' cross-platform strategies, it might be unsolvable bad behavior on their part.

Nonetheless, 1P is one of the most common triggers, if not the most common, and the only one that I've ever had. Any chance of a fix or kluge from Agilebits' side of things?

Symptoms: 1P and Phototshop/Illustrator will coexist for months with no issues. Suddenly, the spacebar modifier used to pan around and zoom in and out in PS just doesn't work.

Quitting 1P, 1P mini, and all browsers with 1P extensions is the only guaranteed way I've found to quash this. (Usually after a lot of hassle working under deadline without the modifiers, then Googling and browsing the zillions of questions about this before finding 1P as the culprit in the answers and remembering I already did this more than once before.)

Oddly, PS doesn't need to be restarted at that point, the spacebar modifiers just start working again. Then I can launch 1P again and all is well, until the bug detects that I've forgotten the solution and it can pop up again to torture me with the long process of rediscovery.

The last, oh, half-dozen to dozen times this happened over the last few years, I have just been so anxious to get on with my work that I never submitted anything here. "Surely, someone will fix this, it's driving all these people crazy who are asking Adobe the same question!"

But it's so incredible to me that this issue still exists, and so many PS/Illustrator users run into it, that I thought I should do my civic duty and post the issue here in case no one ever has energy to do so after they find the fix.

Even if this is (likely) classic Adobe arrogance, any chance of a workaround patch in 1P to save us from their misbehavior?

Thanks!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ramatsu,

I've merged your post with another thread as they're directly related.

As you can see this has been reported once before but we've not been able to pin anything down. As I'm not a Photoshop user I'm going to ask @megs to respond just in case her knowledge with Photoshop makes any difference.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ramatsu ,

As I've mentioned above, I do spend a fair bit of my spare time playing around in Photoshop, and I've never noticed a conflict with 1Password and Adobe (nor had any weird behaviour with the spacebar). Of course, if there is some sort of weirdness going on here, we'd love to track it down.

To help us do that, please answer the questions that Rick asked previously in the thread:

• When you're experiencing these problems, which app is front-most (i.e. which app's name is top left on your main display)?
    • What key combo are you using, what do you expect will happen, and what actually happens? (Is it just the spacebar that causes this?)

A few further questions:

• What is the version number of 1Password that you're using?
    • What is the version number of your operating system?
    • Have you changed any of 1Password's keyboard shortcuts?
  • hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

I also am a Photoshop CC user, and stand ready to lend a hand with this.

The only shortcut I ordinarily use in Photoshop that involves the space bar is the one where holding the spacebar actives the hand tool and allows me to drag an image to bring something into view. At this moment, that is working correctly in PS CC.

I did receive an update from Adobe this morning.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Anything you can do to help isolate this issue @ramatsu will be fantastic to us. We're happy to create a bug report, it's just we need a little more to go on to help the devs as currently we're little stumped. If we can work out why though and correct it we'll certainly do so :smile:

• ramatsu
    ramatsu
    Community Member

S'alright, happy to contribute, though I'm not experiencing it at the moment and it's so intermittent (months between occurrences) that it's going to be tricky, I'm sure:

Front-most app: Photoshop or Illustrator, whichever is failing. I'm only 99% sure on this since I can't confirm it until I experience the bug again, but I've had it happen so often and spent so much time re-discovering the cause, that I'd be very surprised to find I missed that another app was presented as the active one while working in the Adobe apps.

The key combos are the navigation/zoom ones that use the spacebar, common to Photoshop and Illustrator, and probably most other Adobe apps:

• Cmnd-spacebar: Overrides any other tool mode that you are in and changes to the Zoom In tool (including cursor state) as long as it's held down.
    • Option-Cmnd-spacebar: The same, but Zoom Out instead of Zoom In.
    • Spacebar only: Overrides any other tool mode that you are in and changes to the Hand tool as long as the spacebar is held down. The hand tool lets you "grab" the current view portal of your image while the mouse button is held down, and drag your view around inside of the window, controlling the horizontal and vertical scroll bars together. It makes perfect sense when you see it or use it, it's just a little tricky to describe, but most image editing programs have it.

Those three are things that most heavy Photoshop users probably hit constantly – they are the fastest way short of telekinesis in terms of navigating to exactly the part of an image you need to work on. Having them disappear suddenly is sort of like working with one hand behind your back. There may be other spacebar-related shortcuts as well in the Adobe apps, and they may be affected as well, but I don't use any others.

1P version: Possibly any version in the past 2-6 years. (Guaranteed two years, and it's possible I've experienced this going much further back. Absolutely versions 4 & 5, almost certainly 3, and possibly earlier.)

You didn't ask, but the same is true of the versions of Adobe apps current in the same timeframe.

Operating system: I'm always current; right now it's Yosemite 10.10.2, but the issue definitely predates Mavericks, maybe several versions back.

1P keyboard shortcuts changed?: If so, it's been a long time and many versions ago. FWIW, here's what I have (I don't think I ever use them):

"Help us AgileBits-wan, you're our only hope. Adobe sure doesn't seem to give a..."

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

I just opened Photoshop CC 2014.2.2 Release to see what happened in my hands. If I have an image open in Photoshop and press Cmd-Spacebar, I get a window popping up to do a Spotlight search. Like this:

If I press Option-Cmd-Spacebar, I get a Finder window prepared for Searching this Mac. Like this:

I'm wondering if those aren't custom Photoshop keyboard shortcuts. They certainly seem not to be defaults on my installation.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ramatsu ,

I'm seeing the same thing as Hawkmoth. Command-space bar gives me a Spotlight window, and Option-Command-space bar opens a Finder window. Personally, I was kind of excited to hear about the command-zoom shortcut (I tend to just use the 'Z' hotkey to enable the tool whenever I need it, but your way sounds a bit quicker) so I'm sad that it doesn't seem to work!

Because I'm the curious type, I headed over to Adobe's help site and searched for default keyboard shortcuts. There's a crazy long list, but it just so happens that:

You're right! However, because there seems to be a conflict with the OS X keyboard shortcuts, I'm wondering if you've got some fun settings in the OS X system preferences that might be giving you this different behaviour. If so, those settings might be causing your troubles.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

@Megan - I have a vague recollection that you can set Photoshop to override the OS defaults, but I can't find the switch at the moment.

Edit: Those PS keyboard shortcuts do work if you disable the same ones in OS X keyboard system preferences.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ramatsu,

As Hawkmoth suggested, I've disabled the OS X default shortcuts and have been playing with the Photoshop zoom shortcuts for a while now and I've been unable to make it fail.

We'll need some more easily reproducible steps in order to track this bug down. So please keep an eye out. The next time you notice the shortcut fail, please let us know what you were doing immediately before the shortcut failed: did you switch from a browser where you had invoked the 1Password extension to fill, for example? At this time, I really can't see how 1Password could be interfering here, especially since the keyboard shortcuts are not in conflict, but if you can provide a bit more detail so we can do some further testing, I'm happy to investigate further.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Re-opening for further discussion.

• teonline
    teonline
    Community Member
    edited February 2016

Hi everyone,

The last response is dated back almost a year, but I'm experiencing the same problem as @ynotcreative and @ramatsu.

See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/58360/how-to-fix-annoying-disabling-of-space-key-in-adobe-apps-when-1password-for-chrome-is-active

Concerning the OS X default behaviour, you are right @ramatsu and @Megan. As an immigrated Windows user I heavily use and love the Ctrl+Space and Ctrl+Alt+Space shortcuts in Adobe apps. However, when I changed to Mac I realized that these shortcuts where used by the system and I changed them as one of my first official acts as a new Mac user.

I simply added Ctrl to the key-stack. So Spotlight equals for me to Ctrl+Cmd+Space instead of Cmd+Space and this horrible search window nobody uses is now Ctrl+Alt+Cmd+Space instead of Alt+Cmd+Space (at least I think so...).

I don't really believe that it has anything to do with this issue, but you never know! (@ramatsu: I also highly suspect Adobe's coding standards to be the cause of this).

Back to the problem: I wanted to reproduce it now, and – who would have thought that – it is not possible for me. I restarted Chrome and Adobe apps in several combinations, using the 1Password extension and not using it, but the problem didn't appear. So there must be a step in between I'm missing. Maybe even another app.

When I experience the bug the next time, I will definitely investigate further and keep you updated here.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @teonline,

I'm glad to see I did manage to successfully re-open this thread as it was a bit of a fight. Given you've managed to post though it looks like I succeeded. I think your findings highlight the issue we're experiencing here. Some missing step or involvement of another process that means we haven't been able to replicate. It sounds like you're willing to help and if it does require a change on our end to help with compatibility then if we can we will.

I'm not sure if we're hoping it never bothers you again or if it repeatedly happens so you might help us determine the missing step. Either way the goal is 1Password helps and doesn't hinder your computer usage :smile:

This post shouldn't close for a while now and we don't close threads without good reason so it should be open for you to report your findings should it happen again.

• teonline
    teonline
    Community Member

Thanks, @littlebobbytables :-)

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

:smile: We'll wait to hear back from you and fingers crossed.

This discussion has been closed.