iCloud sync requires Mac App Store version

macvox
macvox
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

I purchased 1Password PRO less than 1 year ago, downloaded directly from agilebits. I'm now all Mac (Yosemite) and OS8 iphone/ipad user. I now have all the latest updates....Yosemite and OS8 on my iPhone and iPad.
At the time, iCloud wasn't really recommended....but that was then....Now, I want to be able to sync to iCloud.
But nothing about 1Password shows up in my iCloud preferences....or in the sync preferences in the app.
Please tell me if this is correct.....
Since I downloaded originally from AgileBits, (not Apple) is the Mac not seeing this app...and showing it as PAID? I go to the APP store, and it shows that I need to PURCHASE it. How exactly do I get the APP STORE to see that I've already purchased it....instead of wanting to charge me? I hope I don't have to PAY AGAIN!

Do I need to download and reinstall the Mac app?

Very confused.
Please advise. Thanks.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

The is no PRO version of 1P for Mac. I assume you have on your iOS devices 1P for iOS with the pro features enabled: is that correct? (You need to have 1P for iOS on your iOS devices as well as 1P for Mac on your Mac in order to sync your 1P data.)

I'm afraid you won't be able use iCloud to sync your 1P data if you're using the the AgileBits store version of 1P for Mac. The reasons are set out in this Web Store and iCloud FAQ. If you really want to use iCloud sync you will have to pay again to buy the the Mac App Store version. I'm afraid there's no alternative to that if you really must use iCloud to sync your 1P data.

The options available to you for sync of your 1P data are Dropbox (which many people use happily) or local wifi sync (which I use with no problems at all).

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macvox,

I hope that Stephen's explanation has been helpful to you. The link he provided should clear things up. Of course, if you have any further questions, we're here for you!

• macvox
    macvox
    Community Member

Hi Megan / Stephen:
    You are correct, the PRO versions...I downloaded on my OS devices, not the Mac..........

...............I placed my original order in April and in October...then Agilebits changes the game.......There should have been some kind pop up, or warning.....saying that....if I proceed with my order going through Agile Bits site...and not Apples......new and upcoming"future" features might not be available and I would have to PAY AGAIN if I wanted true reliable iCloud sync ......

So, in the interim.....When I heard about the new iCloud sync feature being so great.....not realizing what happened......
    I upgraded my Mac to Yosemite....specifically just so I could have the latest and greatest 1Password 5 app which I thought had the now, much touted new iCloud sync feature....never dreaming that I would have to PAY AGAIN for this....because I didn't buy it from Apple!

I think due to this situation...in this short time span...... I shouldn't have to pay AGAIN.
    I ask Agilebits to do the following: I will purchase 1Password for Mac.... AGAIN....this time from the iTunes app store........Then once you have proof I've purchased this from APPLE....Agilebits refunds the money I paid for this app on the AB web store. Your company still makes a profit on the new sale from the Apple Store and you have a happy customer.
    Feel free to contact me personally if needed.
    Please advise.
    Thanks.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @macvox,

I'm very sorry for any confusion about iCloud sync! The reason iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac is because it uses Apple's new CloudKit technology, which can only be used by apps sold through the Mac App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the web store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information about that in these knowledgebase articles:

Unfortunately Apple doesn't provide a way to convert a license for our website version of 1Password to the Mac App Store version. So if you choose to buy the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you'll need to purchase that separately. We can refund purchases from our web store if they are made within the last 30 days, but since you made your purchase a year ago we would not be able to process a refund at this point.

There are other ways to sync your data, so you're not required to purchase from the Mac App Store. Our web store version of 1Password 5 for Mac can use Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync, and we'd be more than happy to help you set that up.

Again, I do apologize for the confusion about that! If you have more questions, please let us know.

ref: 707907

• pburnett
    pburnett
    Community Member

I get that the iCloud kit is required, but Apple isn't forcing you to sell at $50. The wi-fi sync just hasn't worked consistently for me - and I go weeks before I have to force my devices to all catch up to the vault file. Dropbox is not an option for me with Condoleezza Rice on the board of directors. So... I will pay another $50 to get the iCloud sync ability - however - a chunk of good faith is lost with me. This revenue "re"generating behavior is very Quicken-like. If it happens again I won't be as inclined.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

@pburnett, Apple does prevent developers offering a discount to some users, so a lower price would have to be for everyone. AgileBits do offer a sale from time to time, but there's no telling when the next one will be.

I would like to see something like @macvox's solution. However, it would be a book-keeping nightmare, and I gather it would also cause problems with the credit card companies, who dislike companies who make lots of refunds. I am sure that AgileBits have considered solutions like that before rejecting them.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pburnett,

As danco mentioned, Apple does not give us the ability to give individual discounts on the Mac App Store. If we lowered the price, it would have to be for everyone - which is what we do when we have a sale.

As for your concerns about Dropbox, I first wanted to say that I'm glad you're thinking strongly about the security of your data! I also wanted to explain that we're very confident about storing 1Password data in the cloud, as your data file is encrypted with an industry-standard algorithm called AES. Even if someone were to acquire a copy of your 1Password data file, it would be extremely difficult (approaching impossible in a human lifetime) for them to actually gain access to your passwords without your Master Password. So regardless of which cloud service you use or who is on the board of directors, your data is safe. We have more information about the security of your 1Password data in the cloud in this article.

Now having said that, we understand that you might not want to use certain cloud sync services, and that's why we have other options. iCloud sync is one such option if you have the Mac App Store version of 1Password. There's also Wi-Fi sync (in both Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions), and we'll be happy to help if you're having some difficulty using that. Another option is Folder Sync, which you can use in combination with other cloud sync services aside from Dropbox or iCloud (although Folder sync isn't supported in 1Password for iOS).

If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know - we're always happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.