1Password-4 on OSX 10.5.8 installs and opens but all options are greyed out

tomstarr
tomstarr
Community Member

Trying to migrate to 1Password 4 before upgrading to Yosemite and version 5.

Can't buy version 4 to get a license either...

Maybe it's not possible to get there from here?

Thanks in advance for any clues,

Tom

Comments

• tomstarr
    tomstarr
    Community Member

Same problem with v5 on Yosemite. No way to create a Vault. Am I just being dumb here?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomstarr,

Can you confirm which version of Mac OS X is running on your Mac? The subject of your message said OSX 10.5.8, but 1Password 4 for Mac requires OS 10.8 or 10.9, so I don't think it should open on 10.5.8 at all. Also, 1Password 5 for Mac requires OS 10.10 (Yosemite).

Or are you using different Macs, and trying to migrate your 1Password data from the older Mac to the newer Mac? There are a few ways to do that, and the easiest is often to set up Dropbox sync in 1Password 3 on the old Mac, then sync with the vault in Dropbox from 1Password 4 or 5 on the new Mac. There are some other ways as well, and we'll be happy to help you out with that if you need assistance.

To address some specific issues you mentioned:

Can't buy version 4 to get a license either...

Are you trying to buy a license from our web store? If so, you can buy a license for 1Password 5, and the license file you receive also works with 1Password 4, which you can get from our download site. If you want to buy the Mac App Store version, you'll need to purchase 1Password 5 from the Mac App Store on a Mac running 10.10 (Yosemite) first. Then when you try to install it on OS 10.8 or 10.9 from the Purchases section of the Mac App Store, it will offer to let you download the latest version compatible with that OS.

Same problem with v5 on Yosemite. No way to create a Vault.

Out of curiosity, is that a different Mac with Yosemite, or did you upgrade the OS 10.5.8 Mac to Yosemite? As for not being able to create a vault, the first time you open 1Password it should either find existing data (if you have data from another version on the same Mac) or give you the choice between I'm new to 1Password or I've used 1Password before. You can choose to create a brand new, empty vault, or sync/restore from an existing vault or backup. (Once you've created a Primary vault in 1Password 4 or 5, you can add additional vaults by going to the menu for 1Password > New Vault.) What exactly do you see when you open 1Password 4/5?

• tomstarr
    tomstarr
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

I missed that little grey Get Started thingy buried down in the lower corner of the horn blowing screen so kept banging my head on the App itself. Thanks for making me look again.

My goal is 1Password5 on 10.10.2 because SourceForge Java 6 Password Safe is no longer feasible, but first need to move from Password Safe into 1Password4 on 10.8.5 where both work.

Consequently now the question is can one import CSV or XML into 1Password4? Or is the only option copy-paste?

Thanks again!
    Tom

• Hi @tomstarr,

You can import from CSV in 1Password. If Password Safe can export to CSV then you should try that first and see how it goes.

Rick

• tomstarr
    tomstarr
    Community Member

Thanks! With support like this I'm sold :-)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tomstarr ,

Whoo! I'm so glad that our team has been able to help you out here. I hope that 1Password works perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any further questions or concerns, we're here for you. :)

• tomstarr
    tomstarr
    Community Member

Thanks! I'm used to having to provide a password whenever I access a vault, even if it's only been a score of minutes. Can 1Password work that way?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tomstarr: Indeed! If you go to 1Password > Preferences > Security, you have a lot of control over the locking behaviour -- including setting an idle timer to have it lock after a certain number of minutes. And remember you can lock 1Password at any time by pressing ⌃⌥⌘L (Control+Option+Command+L). I hope this helps! :)

• tomstarr
    tomstarr
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Is it easy to find the vault and move it? Or to have it ask which vault when opening?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tomstarr: Indeed! It is simply a matter of placing the 1Password vault where you want it and then double-clicking it to open it in 1Password. Please do exercise caution though. It is important that 1Password not be stored on a removable drive. And if you want to sync your 1Password data between multiple devices, you can open 1Password Preferences > Sync to set it to use Dropbox, for instance, and it will place the vault in your Dropbox folder for you. :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@tomstarr,

Did you get your Password Safe wallet converted / imported?

This discussion has been closed.