Syncing never ends after difficult upgrade to 1P 5 on Mac

kblinhou
kblinhou
Community Member

I have a license from the App Store bought a year ago (so.. version 4.x at the time), and it runs on 2 iPhones, an iPad or two, a couple of MacBooks and a Mac Pro. Along the way to version 5, all of the systems updated themselves without any intervention on my part.... except the MacPro, running 10.10.2 (Yosemite). I'm not aware that I have manual installs activated, and normally don't have to do anything to get new versions of other AppStore programs. But a week ago my copy of 1Password on that one mac started complaining that the trial had expired. Reboots did not help. After reading what I could find on the forums, I installed the version available on the App Store (not sure if it was the same as what I had or not), but that and a reboot ended the "trial expired" problem. But now, it will not sync. It seems to have forgotten that it was syncing to dropbox, so I repointed it to the one and only vault I have there, and 1P informed me that it needed to merge vaults. With 434 items, many hours later (4 or 5) and it's still not done. I have 100Mbps down and 30Mbps up to the Internet, so connection speed is not an issue. Other Macs don't seem to have a problem -- I just checked one at it reports it finished synchronizing to Dropbox 14 seconds ago. There is nothing I have done in the MacPro copy of dropbox that I can't wipe if that's the way out of this, but I need advice on what steps to take next. Thx.

Comments

• kblinhou
    kblinhou
    Community Member

Should've added: on the Mac Pro in question with the never-ending sync:
    1Password, Version 5.1 (510027), Mac App Store, running Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2.
    Same exact detail on the MacBook that's working fine -- both 1P and OS X version.
    iPhone 6+ running App Store version 5.2.1. iOS 8.2.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kblinhou,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been having.

As Apple don't share any purchasing information with us I can't say with 100% confidence about what you've purchased in the past but I wonder if there is the possibility of platform licensing confusion here. Our licences are per platform and it sounds like you purchased 1Password 4 for iOS but it's harder to say if you purchased 1Password for Mac around the same time or not. What we have seen is the trial version of 1Password for Mac available from our site has contributed to the confusion on occasion, more so with version 4 as it wasn't very vocal that there was a trial at all.

If you have been running our Agile Web Store (AWS) 1Password and then move to the Mac App Store (MAS) version it sadly does mean reconfiguring the preferences, including syncing, to suit your needs. The two versions keep their files in different locations and while we do import your AWS vault into the MAS version of 1Password for Mac this isn't extended to the settings.

Now this is where the difficulties should have ended though so I do apologise you're now having to fight with re-establishing syncing. Merging of vaults should take mere moments, even for moderately sized vaults.

It might be worth trying (if you haven't already) closing 1Password and rebooting your Mac. When you launch 1Password again does the reboot kick-start syncing at all?

If it doesn't it we might ask you for a diagnostic report, see if that can offer any insight into why syncing has stalled. Let's start with the reboot though and see what impact (if any) it has. Keep us informed!

• kblinhou
    kblinhou
    Community Member

Well, I awoke today and opened up 1Password without a reboot, and overnight it finished sync'ing. I have no idea why, but it seems to have resolved itself for now. Good enough for me. Thanks for the guidance, I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you.

• Thanks for the update! Please do let us know if you have further difficulties.

This discussion has been closed.