Fastest way to enter passwords?

FilterJoe
FilterJoe
Community Member
edited December 2010 in 1Password 4 for Windows
Roboform's ability to make logins easy with just a single action is what makes it such a great piece of software for Windows IE/Firefox/Chrome users (though the Roboform Chrome adapter is slow and buggy). I was so used to entering passwords with a single action that I've tried as much as possible to recreate that on 1Password. Here are the fastest methods I've discovered so far, none of which require less than 2 actions:

Using Google Chrome (or Firefox or IE) in conjunction main 1Password software:

Prerequisite 1: Default browser in Windows must be set to the Chrome browser (or whatever browser you want to do this with)
Prerequisite 2: main 1Password program must be open, with the master password entered
Prerequisite 3: Each login record must have a location that is either the login screen for that service, or better yet the home screen you want to get to - assuming that service automatically throws up a login screen.

1) On the open 1Password window, double click on the line of the password record for the service you want to login to. This will open up the tab on Google Chrome.
2) Single click on Auto-Type. This will usually then log you in to that service (though sometimes you have to click on Auto-Type a second time).

Using Google Chrome in conjunction with the 1Password Chrome extension:

Prerequisite: 1Password extension must have the master password entered (if you've already entered the master password for some other reason, such as saving a new login record or opening the main 1Password software, that doesn't count - you have to enter it again for the extension)

1) Go to the web site you want to login to.
2) Click on the 1Password favicon (I'm assuming you've already entered the master password)
3) Click on the correct login for the site, which opens up the record
4) Click on the arrow

Alternatively:

1) Click on the 1Password Favicon
2) Click on "all logins"
3) Scroll down to site login you want (may take a few seconds if you have hundreds of logins)
4) Select the login and it will automatically log you in

Note that this second alternative would have been considerably easier if the folder structure was maintained, because then I could hide most of my rarely used logins in various folders, leaving only the top 10 or so logins exposed so I could quickly select them.

Using Firefox:

1) Open a new Tab (if you don't, the current tab will be overwritten)
2) Click on the 1Password Favicon
3) Click on "Go and Fill"
4) Select that login record - will then open the site and login automatically.

This was more convenient and intuitive than Chrome but still 4 steps. Could be reduced to 3 steps if you automatically opened into a new tab when following this procedure (consider this a feature request).

Am I missing a way to enter passwords with a single action (once the master password has been entered)?

Does your roadmap include a popup feature that is invoked when visiting a login screen - and then allows you to click a single button to "Fill and Submit?"

Note that finding the minimal number of clicks to do things required a lot of experimentation (and settings changes such as enabling auto-sumbit, and getting rid of the dialog box for autotype) and it would be nice if there were a FAQ entitled something like: What is that fastest way you can use 1Password to login? In Chrome? In Firefox? In IE? From the main 1Password software?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Try Control-\ at the login page. :-)
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    FilterJoe wrote:

Am I missing a way to enter passwords with a single action (once the master password has been entered)?

Once you arrive at a login page, click "Ctrl+\" (no quotes). Then 1Password should enter your username and password, and optionally submit the login (provided you have a login item, of course).

There is no need to launch the stand-alone 1Password app before doing anything. Our browser extensions run independently.
  • FilterJoe
    FilterJoe
    Community Member

Once you arrive at a login page, click "Ctrl+\" (no quotes). Then 1Password should enter your username and password, and optionally submit the login (provided you have a login item, of course).

The Ctrl + \ suggestion you both provided helps. Thanks!

But it brings up another issue:

If you have exactly one passcard for a top level domain, then this works great. You can either go to the site first, then log in with this keystroke, or you can open a blank tab then use the keystroke and choose a login/site to open.

However, if you have a top level domain for which you have multiple passwords, it involves a couple more steps of navigation, as I outlined in the initial post. There are several different reasons you might have different logins with a single site. One of the most common is because there is more than one login screen type.

What would be nice is if 1Password would automatically figure out the right login for a given specific URL (beyond just the top level domain). Is it supposed to do that? Or will it always be the case that multiple URLs that share the same top level domain will always require a user to select among several choices (which takes a couple steps)?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2010
    There are a couple of scenarios in which you might have multiple Login items for a single domain:

• Multiple accounts for a single site (like mail.google.com):

You'd want the opportunity to select the one you want to use, and 1Password offers that by displaying the 1Passworrd dialog box, in which you click the Login With button.

• Logins for multiple locations within a single site (like google.com, mail.google.com, and mail.google.com/a/mycompany.com):

We're looking into ways that we can improve this aspect of the "domain matching" problem. Thanks for your patience!
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    FilterJoe wrote:

What would be nice is if 1Password would automatically figure out the right login for a given specific URL (beyond just the top level domain). Is it supposed to do that? Or will it always be the case that multiple URLs that share the same top level domain will always require a user to select among several choices (which takes a couple steps)?

If the URL-including-arguments is 100% identical to the "Location" that is being stored in 1Password, and none of the other login items for this domain match the URL completely, then Ctrl+\ should pick this one and perform a login immediately, without prompting you with the 1Password window.
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    DBrown wrote:

Logins for multiple locations within a single site (like google.com, mail.google.com, and mail.google.com/a/mycompany.com)

We now have a button named "domain matching" for this here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins

• We now have a button named "domain matching" for this here: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Logins

Is this feature already on 1password for mac ? I cant find it. If not, how is it possible that its in 1password for windows, but not exists on 1password for mac ?
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2011
    Welcome to the forum, Walkman!

Walkman wrote:

Is this feature already on 1password for mac ?.

Not that I know of.

how is it possible that its in 1password for windows, but not exists on 1password for mac ?

They've completely different sets of code. They'll continue to "leapfrog" each other in features, as work continues to enhance both programs.
This discussion has been closed.