Defaulting to "Create new login" + Not sorting by date = Sadface

flavorthirty
flavorthirty
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

Can you help me?

I've been using 1Password for a few years now and since it almost always defaults to 'create new login', every time I need to update my password for an existing login, I now have a gigantic list of out of date logins for the same sites.

Also, since the logins aren't sorted by date, it's a crapshoot to know which one will work.

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @flavorthirty,

Wow, yes, that is a lot of Google! No wonder you're sadface, I would be, too! But I have some suggestions on how you might go about clearing this up, and hopefully avoid such a mess in the future.

First off, I'm guessing the reason it kept registering those as new logins is because Google has so many different sites, so they were all saved under different URLs. But when you are prompted to "create new login," you should also be able to choose "update existing login" instead, which will help keep the list from growing, as long as you can remember to do it in the moment. And you can also give the login item a more meaningful name when you're saving it, so rather than just Google, you might want to call it "Google - work" or "Google personal" or "Google-work-March 27, 2015" or "Google applebananaunicorn"... anything you want!

Now, on to cleaning up all these logins you already have. In the main 1Password app, when you look at All Items, you should see a small dropdown menu below the search bar. You can use this to reorder all your items by password age, date created, date modified, or lots of other factors. So if you know you want to keep the most recent Google login item you added, you can use this to find and delete all the older ones (and maybe rename the one you keep! I like Google applebananaunicorn, but that's just me).

Another great feature that might be helpful for you is the Security Audit, which you'll see in the left sidebar of the main app just below all the categories. You may need to click "Show" next to Security Audit to see the menu. If you select "Duplicate Passwords" from the Security Audit menu, it will show you which logins use the same password, sorted by password. And it shows you the first 3 characters of each duplicate password to jog your memory. This way, you can confidently delete any unnecessary duplicates.

I hope this helps! At least now you have some tools to tame the wild Google login horde. Go forth and conquer your 1Password!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@flavorthirty: If it helps, I thought I'd just share this. As you can imagine, this issue only grows exponentially with the number of separate Google logins one has. I have found that my favourite URL for Google is this generic 'accounts' login, since it will work from pretty much any Google service you try to log into:

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin

And once you have your Google login item(s) saved the way you want in 1Password, you can also tell it to not even both offering to save on various domains in the future:

1Password Preferences > Browser >
    [√] Automatically ask to save new logins
    (except on the following domains)

gmail.com
    google.com

I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.