1Password unexpectedly quits

nancyagee
nancyagee
Community Member

Whenever I open 1Password, it ALWAYS unexpectedly quits. After it quits one or two times, it'll open with the "unexpectedly quit" window, but 1P will stay open. I've sent numerous reports, but it doesn't help. My solution is to keep 1P open and not quit it at all, but I'd like to eliminate the problem if I can.

I am using OS 10.10.2 and 1Password v.5.1 (510035). This problem has existed through several upgrades of 1P and Yosemite.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nancyagee,

My first recommendation would be to drag any copies of the 1Password application to the Trash (we don't recommend the use of any app cleaner). It might be worth checking to see if you have any other copies hiding either in your Downloads folder or maybe on your Desktop. Follow this up with a reboot of your Mac and then download a fresh copy of 1Password from the same place you purchased it, so either from our AgileBits Download page or from Apple's MAS App Store application on your Mac.

Does the problem still exist after doing this? If it does we can go down the route of requesting a diagnostic report to see if we can ascertain anything. Please do let us know if the first suggestion has any effect :smile:

• Mark Sealey
    Mark Sealey
    Community Member

I'm having the same problem. New machine; so just upgraded from 1P 4 to 1P5 (MAS). Only one copy in my Application folder.

Not always on launching - but usually when I try to clear search filters by clicking on the cross at right hand of search box.

TIA for any suggestions!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Mark Sealey: Ouch! I'm sorry for the trouble. It sounds like in both cases there may be some sort of permissions issue or some damaged preferences file(s).

Try restarting your Mac and then reinstall 1Password as the good Mr. Tables suggested. If this problem persists, the best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forum at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• macalp
    macalp
    Community Member

OS 10.10.2 1Password 5.3. Could you be more detailed about how to reinstall so we don't have to repay and don;t lose stuff.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macalp: Absolutely! Either way, you don't have to pay again for the same version.

First and foremost,

1. make a fresh backup in 1Password (File > Backup > Backup Now), and then click the Show Files to open Finder to your backup folder so you can copy it over for safekeeping.
    2. Then follow these detailed instructions to remove the 1Password app and settings. That will ensure that if damaged preferences files are part of the problem you will get fresh ones.
    3. If you purchased 1Password from the Mac App Store, you can install it again at any time at no charge, so long as you're logged into your Apple ID.
    4. If you purchased 1Password from the AgileBits store, you'll have received the license file in an email, and you can always download the app again and have the license resent if you need.
    5. Finally, when you launch 1Password for the first time, you'll be given the option to restore from the backup you created in step 1. Just point it to the backup you saved and it will restore your data.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let us know if you get stuck at a particular point, or if that resolves the issue completely. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• macalp
    macalp
    Community Member

1st thank you for the response.

2nd I had several unexpected quits as it seems other have also. I think I gave the OK for at least 2 reports to be sent to you and then started to read about others having the same problem. Was any of this enough to cure my problem because I haven't had it happen in the at least the last dozen uses?

If it happens again I will follow you procedure and thanks again.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@macalp: You're very welcome! Sending a crash report shouldn't have any effect on whether or not crashes happen again. However, if the crash were due to a system state it may very well have passed.

Hopefully your troubles are behind you, but don't hesitate to reach out if the problem persists. Cheers! :)

• nancyagee
    nancyagee
    Community Member

Sorry! I was delayed in following the instructions of removing and reinstalling 1Password. I have now tried the suggestions sent by littlebobbytables, and I still have the unexpectedly quitting problem. I have sent a copy of the diagnostic report via email. Hopefully, someone can fix this for me. Thanks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nancyagee: Not a problem! I'm sure you've been busy too. I just wanted to let you know that we've received your email. Our support staff will take a look at the diagnostics and get back to you shortly. We will get this sorted out for you! :)

ref: MSU-14388-817

This discussion has been closed.