Howto migrate Data from Version 3.8.21 to 5.1?

Options
asere
asere
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

Hello,

just bought version 5.1 directly from App Store for my brand new iMac.

On my MacBook I still use version 3.8.21 (update to 3.8.22 fails with an extracting archive error).

Now I wanna go on with version 5.1 but I still haven't found a way to import the v3 backup files.

All guides I've found so far are made for the iOS version of 1password.

My question: How can I import the "old" Version 3.8.21 data into the new Version 5.1 1Password?

And I don't wanna use Dropbox or iCloud!

Thank you

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asere,

I'm sorry you've had trouble finding steps to do this! If you don't want to use Dropbox sync, it's also very easy to copy your data file from version 3 on the old Mac to version 5 on the new Mac:

• On your old Mac, open 1Password 3 and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select the General tab
    • Right-click somewhere in the Data File path and choose Show In Finder
    • Copy the .agilekeychain file to the new Mac

Next:

• On your new Mac, open 1Password 5 and set it up as a new user (if you haven't already done so)
    • Go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences
    • Select Sync, then choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu
    • Choose the .agilekeychain file you copied from your old Mac

You should now have all your data in 1Password 5. Please let us know how it all goes and if you have any questions. Thanks!

• asere
    asere
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you. It worked, but IMHO it's super complicated.

You didn't mentioned, that I have to create an empty fault first to see "Folder" under Preferences->Sync.

Why not the natural way?

First 1Password startup -> Gives New / Existing User Panel -> Choose Existing User -> Import (just the *_zip) -> Done

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@asere: You can also double-click the keychain to have 1Password open it. Mainly, the intermediate steps are missing and seem more extreme when you 'skip' years and an entire codebase (1Password 4). Since 1Password 3 ceased development long before Yosemite and 1Password 5 even began, it doesn't have these complexities in mind -- and vice versa.

We really appreciate the feedback! You can actually restore from a backup right when you first run 1Password 5. You just need to choose "I've used 1Password before":

I'm glad that you are back up and running with 1Password. Be sure to let us know if we can be of further help! :)

• asere
    asere
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

this is that I've tried. Restore from Backup -> Choose backup -> Dialog

I was not able to select one of the V3 backups in the file dialog.

Meanwhile it would help other Users if you can put the info how to migrate from different versions (make new empty vault, sync, ...) in the 1Password/Mac FAQ section.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @asere,

I can see how from your perspective that we seemed to have missed a key scenario. Sometimes it's whether we've missed a likely situation or if it's one we think is going to be uncommon.

What 1Password 4/5 will do is look in the the default locations for an .agilekeychain. This includes both the ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/ folder where 1Password 3 stores its vault and Dropbox. So for those that shifted from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4/5 on a single machine it seemed to be seamless. We also allow you to select any .agilekeychain and populate a vault on that while also setting up File Sync at the same time from the new user screen (so the creation of the vault is in the background).

You're correct though, there isn't a single-step route to allow you to go from a 1Password 3 backup to 1Password 4/5. Hopefully now that you're past this hurdle you'll enjoy 1Password 5.

This discussion has been closed.