Set up 1Password after reinstall

Options
fvn
fvn
Community Member
edited March 2015 in Mac

I have been searching everywhere to find a procedure how to install 1P in my case.
I had web version of 1P on Mavericks and file hosted in dropbox. After clean install of Yosemite I want to buy and install 1P from app store.
I want to install 1P and use dropbox for a while untill have time to clean install yosemite into another two macs I own and then switch to iCloud .
Can't find in the knowledge the right procedure.
Any input is appreciate.
Thanks
Flavio

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fvn,

If your heart is set on iCloud then sadly yes, you will need to re-purchase 1Password 5 from Apple's Mac App Store (MAS). If you're an existing 1Password 4 user though don't forget you're entitled to a free upgrade to 1Password 5 (AWS), it's just the iCloud Sync support we can non longer maintain due to Apple's iCloud restrictions.

So just to confirm the current state of your situation.

This first machine is still running Mavericks and 1Password but you want to wipe, perform a clean install of Yosemite and then purchase and install 1Password 5 (MAS). Then in time transition your other machines across in the same way.

What I would recommend is the following.

1. Before you wipe the Yosemite machine use something like SuperDuper! or equivalent t create a bootable backup of the entire drive. This does assume a spare hard drive with enough space but if you ever need it you'll be some thankful you did.
    2. Proceed as you planned. Wipe the drive, install Yosemite and purchase 1Password 5 (MAS). Also install Dropbox before launching 1Password 5.
    3. On launching 1Password 5 it will see your 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, ask for the Master Password and you're done. It will set up the vault using the contents of the .agilekeychain and set up syncing at the same time.

Then when you're ready to transition to iCloud it's pretty much turn off syncing and then turn it back on but pointing it to the other sync method.

If you have any questions before starting please do ask.

• fvn
    fvn
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Thank you very much for your help, as usual.
    After all I decided to keep going with the (AWS), save few bucks and move to app store when next release will arrive.
    I downloaded and installed like charm.
    Thanks a lot
    Flavio

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update Flavio!

• fvn
    fvn
    Community Member
    Options

Ooops!!! today just happened to see a "trial expired warning"
    Was it a free upgrade?
    I purchased 1P 4 on april 2014.
    Pls help.
    Thanks

• fvn
    fvn
    Community Member
    Options

Done I found instruction hoe to download again the license.
    Thanks

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fvn: Ah! Sorry you ran into trouble there, but I'm glad you were able to find your license! And when you add the license, 1Password should now also have saved it as a Software item in your vault so you have it in the future. :+1:

In case it helps anyone else, you can always have your license resent via email. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.