1Password (Windows) unable of updating [Resolved, caused by a third party firewall, ESET NOD32]

helllo
helllo
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows
  • I’m using 1Password version #:4.3.0.556 (did not work any either on previous versions)
  • On a (Mac/PC/iOS/Android): Windows
  • Syncing with other devices (list them): iOS (occasionally)

The error message refers to either a problem with the website or that something might be wrong with my internet settings. Unfortunately, I do not know a whole lot about internet settings and therefor am unable to start resolving the problem on my own.
As it is to update it manually (uninstalling and re-installing the new version), please help!

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@helllo You can download and install our latest version here.

• helllo
    helllo
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Thanks for the advice. :)

I already have the latest version at the moment.

That's what I actually did the last two times in order to update the program. However, I'd like not to do this on regular basis.

• Hi @helllo,

I think Stefan (svondutch) thought you asked how to update it manually, so he answered that.

It sounds like the problem is that 1Password is not able to update you automatically for the past few versions and you'd like to fix that.

Let's take it one step at a time to see if we can figure it out:

1. Do you have a proxy, VPN, or a network-related tool installed on your computer, like a firewall? In addition, do you have an anti-malware solution that might include the ability to block connections like a firewall?
    2. Open the main 1Password application, unlock, go to the File Menu > Preferences > Network. Is anything configured in this view or is it set to Auto-detect proxy settings?
  • helllo
    helllo
    Community Member

Thank you for responding so quickly.

While I was browsing trough the tools I have installed to check my network traffic, I found a solution.

Thank you all very much. The problem is resolved!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@helllo: Ah, excellent! I'm glad you found the culprit. If you don't mind, what was it that was preventing 1Password from updating (or what were you able to do to resolve it)? You never know: it may help someone else in the future. :)

• helllo
    helllo
    Community Member

Well, in fact as MikeT suggested it was a problem with my anti-virus program. As it is double checking the network traffic in addition to the windows firewall, it seems like this was part of the issue. I am able to simply exclude the 1Password.exe and its network connections from the checking process every time you release an update and as I still have everything else under the radar, so the risk of getting some malware should still be limited.

I hope it helps someone!
    Thanks anyway!

• MikeT
    edited March 2015

Hi @helllo,

Can you tell us the name of the anti-virus program, so we can add it to our internal list as potential issue with auto-update. We might also be able to get in touch with its vendor to see if they can whitelist 1Password.

• helllo
    helllo
    Community Member

It's ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

• Great, thanks!

• Hi @helllo,

Just a quick follow-up to your issue.
    We've been running some tests with ESET NOD32 2015 in Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and found that, at default settings, the current version (8.0.312.3) doesn't interfere with 1Password's auto-updater anymore.

Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.