1Password using multiple folders in Application Support

Options
fell
fell
Community Member

I was doing disk cleanup and found both a 1Password and a 1Password 4 folder. In a search on this forum I found a post by you saying 1Password folder was for v3 and the 1Password 4 folder was the one used by current versions. However I noticed the 1Password folder was still being modified so I looked in side.

1Password is storing it's new backups in the 1Password folder, not 1Password 4. There is a Backups folder in the '4' folder but the last backup there is from Nov 2014. The non-4 folder has current backups. Even more curious to me is if I click "Show Files" in the Preferences-Backups window it takes me to a completely different folder that is in Library/Containers/blahblah-helper/Data/...

I can't find a way to tell it where to store the backups. Is there any way to clean this up?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fell,

It sounds like you might have been a user of not just 1Password 3 but also both versions of our 1Password 4/5. By that I mean our Agile Web Store (AWS) and Apple's Mac App Store (MAS) versions.

So regarding the various locations:

• 1Password 3 : ~/Library/Application Support/1Password/
    • 1Password 4/5 (AWS) ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/
    • 1Password 4/5 (MAS) ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper

The reason why MAS and AWS are in different locations is due to sandboxing, one of the requirements of selling software in Apple's store.

If I had to guess I'd say you started as a 1Password 3 user, moved to 1Password 4/5 (AWS) and then at some later point moved to the MAS version, maybe for iCloud Sync?

Do you have backups in ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups with current timestamps? if you do then 1Password 4/5 (MAS) is backing up correctly.

So what about the first two folders?

If you're no longer using our AWS version of 1Password for Mac then you're free to remove that folder. Likewise if you're not using 1Password 3 any more that folder can be removed too. Now I haven't addressed why backups are still being made in the 1Password 3 folder. It's likely the old 1PasswordAgent is still running so this page may be of use to you, Completely Uninstalling 1Password. I would personally recommend the manual section further down the page and if you've been looking in your Library folder I suspect you're more than skilled enough there.

If you have any questions relating to any of this please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.