I've had 1Password for over a year now but it's telling my my trial expired and won't show me info

Options
pixelhacker
pixelhacker
Community Member

This is not cool, I paid for a license awhile ago and now all of a sudden its saying my trial membership has expired and I no longer have access to my account with all my passwords can someone help me ASAP!!!???

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You have not said what version of 1P you are using. The upgrade from 1P3 to 1P4 was paid, not free, but there was a bug in 1P4 so that the software sometimes failed to complain about the fact it was unlicensed. Please tell us:

1. what version of 1P you have;
    2. whether you bought it from the Mac App Store (in which case you don't need a specific licence file) or from the AgileBits store.

The other point to make is that 1P will never lock you out of access to your existing passwords, whether or not it's licensed. If you can't access your passwords you have some problem other than the licensing one so please describe exactly what happens when you try to open 1P.

Stephen

• pixelhacker
    pixelhacker
    Community Member
    Options

I purchased this in Jan 2014, so it's v4.1.2 (4+) , I bought it from the Mac App Store, so what do I do know? How do I get it to stop saying Trial Ended?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The Mac App Store version of 1P does not require any specific licence so the only reason you could be seeing that message is if you also have installed on your Mac a version from the AgileBits store. Is that possible? Did you download a free trial from the AgileBits store at some time in the past?

I assume you're running OS X 10.9, rather than OS X 10.10: is that correct?

You haven't explained this:

I no longer have access to my account with all my passwords

which, as I said in my previous post, I don't understand.

Edit: If you go to 1P > About 1Password what exactly does it say there?

Stephen

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Check whether you have two versions of 1PW. The "trial expired" warning should only occur with versions bought direct from Agile. The version from the App Store is tied to your Apple ID.

Even if you have only one version, it is possible that somehow you have moved from the App Store version to the Agile version. If you go to About 1Password, what EXACTLY does it say? In 1PW5 it says specifically whether it is App Store or Agile version, but I seem to remember that in 1PW4 the difference was signalled in a more subtle way, so the precise wording is important.

• pixelhacker
    pixelhacker
    Community Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

OK, now it's getting interesting. The version I have on my MAC is 1Password Version 5.1 (510035), so can I just delete this version and go back to the MAC store and download my V4 and everything will be seamless? I did a fresh install of my OS a few weeks back and probably downloaded the trial
    I'm on 10.10
    And yeah my passwords and info are back but for some odd reason the first 10 minutes I couldn't get anything.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

If you bought 1P4 from the Mac App Store you should be able to download 1P5 from there without further payment (as the upgrade was free). However, do please read carefully this knowledge base article about migrating to the Mac App Store version. I'd make a backup of your 1P data (1P > Preferences > Backup) before doing anything further.

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pixelhacker,

I just want to confirm a couple of things for anybody else reading this thread.

1. The Agile Web Store (AWS) version of 1Password for Mac available from our AgileBits Download page starts off in a trial mode until you apply a licence purchased from our store. If you purchase the MAS version you don't have a licence because of how Apple ties purchases to your Apple ID.
    2. Even if the trial period expires we never block access to the vault. The vault may be locked in a read-only state but you will still be able to access all the contents. To block access would be akin to blackmail and we will never do that.

Jumping between the MAS and AWS versions can end up causing a level of confusion. Normally what would happen is if you've already downloaded the MAS version the MAS receipt would be present, we acknowledge its existence and that's the end of it. If you purchased 1Password in Apple's App Store on a different machine (wiping a machine counts too) then the receipt wouldn't be present until you download it again from their App Store.

If you have any questions do please ask! :smile:

This discussion has been closed.