"1Password found existing data in Dropbox. It will be merged with your current vault."

Options
Fantine1021
Fantine1021
Community Member

I use my Macbook Pro as my primary laptop, but have my old Macbook, which I typically use only when I need its DVD player. I had 1Password 4 on the old Macbook. I updated that to 1Password 5 when I upgraded the old laptop's iOS to Yosemite. Now, I'm trying to get the two versions of 1Password5 to synch via Dropbox, with the newer entries on the MBPro laptop to overwrite the older ones. But when I ty to set up Dropbox synching on 1Password5 on the older laptop, I get the error message in the discussion title. I canceled out, because I don't want to end up with duplicates, especially for entries that I have recently updated. What do I do now? Need some help here! Thanks.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fantine1021,

Depending on your situation there are a couple of options.

1. If your MacBook Pro is a complete and up-to-date vault we could start over on your old MacBook if you're concerned at all. You would first want to follow our How do I start over with an empty vault? guide on the MacBook and then our Getting started again on a new computer guide. This would essentially mean your Macbook Pro vault is copied to the MacBook.
    2. It might just be our particular choice of words caused undue concern. When we merge a local vault with sync data we look first at the UUID, the Universally Unique ID. When these match we favour the one with the more current timestamp and if we're unsure at all we keep all data that differs are store it as a conflict. The idea is not to throw away any of your data if there's a chance you need it. You could find merging does exactly what you want it to. This does kind of depend on how long these two machines have been in use without sync though.

If you have any doubts and there is nothing in the MacBook's vault that isn't in the MacBook Pro's vault then option 1 is pretty safe and you can feel reassured as to what is going on.

If you have any questions regarding any of this please do ask.

• Fantine1021
    Fantine1021
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you -- you have answered my questions. Yes, I was confused by the language of the error message. Thanks for clarifying what will happen during the merger.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's why we're here @Fantine1021 :smile: glad I could help. If you have any more questions do please ask!

This discussion has been closed.