two versions installed that are causing conflicts

TigerMO
TigerMO
Community Member

I have two versions of 1password installed. Version 5.1 is on my startup disk and version 4.4.2 is on an external HD. I get error message that says “We a problem” with the incorrect version being launched. It appears that the older version on the external HD is the one being launched, but all my data is on the internal HD. Sometimes the icon for 1password mini looks like a key and other times it looks the same as the icon next to the Safari search box, a circle with a keyhole. I realize that one is associated with vers. 4 and the other with vers. 5, but mini also crashes when I click on it sometimes.

I’d like to delete the older version, but don’t want to break the link between the app and the data. How should I go about that? Thanks.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TigerMO,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when opening 1Password!

This problem is actually due to a strange issue in Yosemite which causes it to open the wrong copy of 1Password mini. It can happen when Yosemite finds multiple copies of the 1Password app. To solve the problem, you'll need to delete the copy of 1Password 4 from your external drive, so OS X only sees one mini. Simply drag the 1Password 4 app to the Trash (do not use any app cleaning utilities), then empty the Trash. If it won't let you empty the Trash, restart your Mac and try again to empty it. That should take care of the problem. Deleting just the app won't cause any problems for your data, and 1Password 5 should work correctly.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions or need more help with that, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

• TigerMO
    TigerMO
    Community Member

It’s true that the problem was happening in Yosemite. I followed your suggestion to delete the copy of 1Password 4 on the external HD. Everything seems to be fine, now. Your suggestion was a perfect solution. Thanks.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TigerMO,

On behalf of @Drew_AG, you're welcome! I'm glad he was able to help you find a solution and get 1Password running smoothly again.

Feel free to come on back if you need anything else; we're here 7 days a week! Cheers. :)

This discussion has been closed.