"Jittery" window when dragging 1Password (unlocked) [known issue; investigating]

ericdorsey
ericdorsey
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac
$ sw_vers
ProductName:    Mac OS X
ProductVersion: 10.10.2
BuildVersion:   14C1510
1Password 5.1 (510027) 

When I have 1Password unlocked (ie, all logins, usernames, websites, modified date etc showing) and I'm dragging the window with the mouse, it's "jittery", it seems to almost fight the mouse. Is this a known behavior? It doesn't do this when it's locked.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ericdorsey,

This is a new one to me. I know I haven't experienced it myself and I think it's the first report I've come across. So unfortunately I can't say we know and a fix is on its way. Would you mind answering a couple of questions to help better understand what is going on.

1. Is it unique to 1Password, so no other applications that you've found so far does this?
    2. Do you have any kind of window manager (I'm a Cinch user myself) that might be involved in this?
    3. This one might seem like a silly question but is it the main window or 1Password mini's menu or indeed both that are behaving in this way?

Out of curiosity, is it something that is apparent if somebody was watching the screen?

Thank you for your reply, it certainly sounds odd!

• nslater
    nslater
    Community Member

I am also getting this behaviour.

The only other app I've seen that does anything like this are Stickies and Terminal, which both behave very strangely if I try to resize their windows.

I am using stock OS X. No custom WMs.

It is the main 1Password window.

Yes, it would be apparent if somebody was watching the screen. (Very strange question! Hah!)

It happens to me whenever I click part of the top bar and try to drag. It behaves as if the mouse coordinates are are unstable. Almost as if some rounding error or something is being magnified. It jumps back and forward, up and down, randomly as you move it.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nslater,

The reason for the odd question is sometimes a dev can gain a better insight into an issue if they can see it happening. We recently had a very odd crash and it wasn't until the user supplied a video that we could replicate exactly what was happening (in that case the cursor position relative to the screen was instrumental - very hard to guess and ask about beforehand).

So in your case it isn't just 1Password but two stock applications supplied by Apple. I did ask one of the devs about this and to the best of their knowledge we're not doing anything special and that moving the window is all handled by the OS. Now why 1Password . Now why you two are experiencing this I don't know. Another member of the team had this vague memory of something like this if you used a non-Apple monitor. I don't know if that even applies to either of you or why a non-Apple monitor should make any difference unless the issue was more related to the particular video output being used. As you can see, it's kind of throw everything up in the air to see if anything sticks. Sometimes it can help to ask what seem like odd questions as you never know.

• ericdorsey
    ericdorsey
    Community Member

Is it unique to 1Password, so no other applications that you've found so far does this?

The behavior is unique to 1Password.

Do you have any kind of window manager (I'm a Cinch user myself) that might be involved in this?

Yes, I do use Better Snap Tool; but I've had both Better Snap tool and 1Password for a while, and I only noticed this behavior from 1Password recently.

This one might seem like a silly question but is it the main window or 1Password mini's menu or indeed both that are behaving in this way?

Main window only; mini window I never "drag". In fact, I don't use the mini window at all.. maybe I should, but that's a different tangent :D

Out of curiosity, is it something that is apparent if somebody was watching the screen?

Yes, it would be very apparent. It's almost as if another person is "fighting" for control of the mouse when dragging 1Password by the top gray area, but only when it's open (viewing entries).

• ericdorsey
    ericdorsey
    Community Member

Also, just FYI, I just tested:

Closing Better Snap Tool, 1Password still has same weird "jittery" dragging.

• jackiam
    jackiam
    Community Member

I have had this issue to. 1password version 5.1

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@ericdorsey, @jackiam: I'm sorry you're having this issue, but in a way I am glad it isn't just one of you experiencing the 'jitters'. That may make it easier to hunt by finding the common element. Unfortunately we haven't been able to reproduce this ourselves.

The best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forum at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• ericdorsey
    ericdorsey
    Community Member

Thanks for the response -- the Troubleshooting tool and Diagnostic report contains a bit too much information for me to send, so I'll just deal with it.

Thanks.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015

Hi @ericdorsey,

I'm sorry the diagnostic report contained too much information for you to feel comfortable with. It's a tricky one, we need to collect enough to diagnose a wide range of issues but obviously as little as possible purely for reasons of sensitivity (none of which ever leaves our ticketing system and is only visible to members of AgileBits). Hopefully a fix comes out that handles this jittering, whatever the odd cause.

ref: OPM-2463

• Chilliham
    Chilliham
    Community Member

Hi. I have also experiences jittery windows on my new mac. I can resolve this issue by closing mini 1password. Would you like me to send in a diagnostic report? (I also use BetterSnapTools)

• Charles Butcher
    Charles Butcher
    Community Member
    edited May 2015

Just for reference, this issue was reported last October: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/183958#Comment_183958.

It seems to be basically a Yosemite issue, but it affects different apps to different extents, and 1Password may be one of the worst affected – at least that's my experience.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@Charles Butcher

Thanks Charles! :)

@Chilliham, I'm sorry you're also experiencing the "jittery windows" problem! I've just checked with one of our developers about this issue, and he said we're able to reproduce this now, so we don't need more diagnostics reports. But thanks for offering to send us one, we really appreciate your willingness to help out with that! :)

I'm afraid I don't have more information about that right now, though. Our developers haven't forgotten about it, and they're definitely looking into it. As Charles said, it might be largely a Yosemite issue and can happen in other apps as well, but it's also possible that maybe we can do something on our end to avoid the problem. I will certainly add your comments to the bug report, though.

Thanks again, and if you need anything else, just let us know!

ref: OPM-2463

This discussion has been closed.