New user question about login and credit cards

Options
iwaddo
iwaddo
Community Member

Hi

Simple question really, hopefully this is the right forum for this type of post, it is my first and my question is a usage question not an application type\version question.

Is the idea behind 1Password to have the login details for an online bank as a different item to the credit card provided to me by the online bank?

Thank you for your help

Regards

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Hi @iwaddo,

You have it correct. Here is my reply to a similar post yesterday. Perhaps it is helpful.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@iwaddo: What MrC said. :)

A general rule of thumb I use is to just file information in 1Password based on practical use. For instance, I have many login items that aren't used for websites, since they are still logically 'logins' (e.g. iPhone unlock code, app passwords, etc.) since they don't fit anywhere else necessarily. And of course I don't need my bank account number and the login for the website in the same place necessarily: they are used in different contexts.

But the Golden Rule of 1Password is: organize it in a way that works and makes sense to you. It's your data after all. Cheers! :chuffed:

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, much appreciated.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@iwaddo: Any time! Just reach out if you have any other questions. We're always here to help! :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

I've another getting started question about my online bank and how best to store the data.

The login screen requires me to enter a 13 character ID. I've typed this code hundreds of times so I'm not fussed about any auto population just secure storage.

Then I have enter two randomly requested characters from a password then two randomly requested numbers from a passcode. There are no drop downs just six empty boxes into which I enter the data.

1Password does not recognise any of the form as a login so I'm assuming there is no point storing this data in a login item, it is almost just a secure note or is there a better way?

As a new user I'm just trying to set off in the best way to minimise later rework.

Thank you

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This tip might help ypu select the data. You're probably going to have to enter it manually.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015
    Options

@iwaddo: Unfortunately it sounds like the site has gone to great lengths to ensure that you need to enter the information manually. Maybe someday 1Password will be 'smart' enough to read what a form like that is requesting and respond in kind (with individually selected characters), but we're not there yet, I'm afraid.

A secure note may do the trick for you. Regardless of item type, your data is encrypted, so any will do just fine. In this case, it is just matter of categorizing and saving the information in a manner that is most convenient for you to access when you need it.

The only caveat in regard to secure notes is that, when accessed (for instance, in the browser extension or 1Password mini) none of the fields are obscured; whereas if you store it as a login item the password field will be obscured (unless you hold the Option key, assuming you are using the Mac version). I just wanted to point that out in case that helps your decision-making process. Cheers! :)

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    Options

Great, thank you for the great advice.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

My pleasure! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.