FR: Type Select in 1P mini/extension when list is open

MrC
MrC
Volunteer Moderator

In 1Password Mini, or the extension, I'd like to be able to type-select items from an expanded list.

Using the Logins list as an example, if I hover over Logins, I'd like to be able to start typing and have either the list of items reduced (filtered) for easy selection based on what I've typed, or at least move the selection to what matches.

The current behavior is that as soon as I type, the Search field is filled and this pulls items from non-Logins.

This feature would make finding / matching items in long lists more useful when you want to keep results limited to your currently expanded Category.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

I suspect you have a much larger vault than I do given this request @MrC :wink: although the search mechanism in the main window doesn't work this way either. If you're in the Logins category it will search the entire vault rather than the highlighted category. To search one category you need to bring up the Search Options.

What about the following? keywords to limit category search e.g. login: ama would likely just bring up an Amazon login and if you start typing when a categories list is visible then it autofills the login: part for you. Does that sound like a workable system?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited March 2015

Perhaps so with ~ 275 Login items.

Keywords could be OK, provided they start with a keyword introduction token (like ":") rather than end with it (otherwise the filtering starts occuring immediately as you type in the L followed by O, etc, and the list will bounce for no reason. So, :login would be great. And clever coding can allow for shortest unambiguous abbreviations (e.g. :l is sufficient for :login, but ":passp" and ":passw" are minimums required for passport and password, respectively. The ability to unambiguously abbreviate makes keywords more likely to be used (if you have to type in :passport or :socialsecuritynumber, keywords are unlikely to be used as using the menus or just plain search would be faster).

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@MrC: Ahh, got it. Although it never even crossed my mind using the extension, that is a pretty cool idea! Search in general is an area that can hopefully be improved in the future -- especially in the extension. I hope that Safari in particular finally gets some updates to its extension API, as it has fallen behind the others over time. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.