1Password 5.1 (MAS) & Safari 8.0.4 toolbar button doesn't work after a while

Perplexity
Perplexity
Community Member

Hi there,

My browser is always open. After a day or so, clicking the 1Password toolbar button doesn't display the 1Password menu. Restarting Safari does fix this problem. Is this a known issue?

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Perplexity: Sorry for the trouble! This happens to me as well sometimes. If I have some tabs open in Safari too long (usually websites with ads...) they will eat up a ton of memory over time and Safari really starts to choke. And of course Safari handles memory for its extensions -- including 1Password.

Unfortunately the only solution is to quit Safari and relaunch it. But the good news is that (at least in my experience) Safari saves open windows and tabs just fine, so you can go right back to where you were. I'm not sure this would be considered a Safari memory leak strictly speaking, since all it is doing is running the scripts on the page like it's supposed to, but it can certainly be a nuisance at times. I hope this helps! :)

• Perplexity
    Perplexity
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I hope Apple will fix this!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad Brenty's reply helped to explain what's happening! I also hope that will be fixed soon.

If you need anything else, please let us know. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Perplexity: Agreed. WWDC is coming up, and I have high hopes for Safari (among other things!) I hate to get excited prematurely, but I think that a rumoured "Snow Yosemite"-type release would be a great opportunity for Apple to do some work on Safari. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.