Proper icons for credit card items [Known issue, working on a fix]

2»

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

Well, how about this! I just turned off rich icons on my iPhone, looked at my logins to be sure I was then seeing generic icons, then turned rich icons back on. Here is a screen capture of my list of credit cards. Those with icons other than MasterCard or Visa are custom icons for the stores that issued the cards. This is on 5.3 (503024)

I forced 1Password to quit, then restarted. Back to generic icons again.

And when I repeated the process I just outlined, the generic icons remained. No more rich icons.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smallcheese and @Hawkmoth,

I'm going to ask @MrRooni to step in here and see if he can make better sense of what you're seeing. I'm not a developer so my understanding of this is not quite as intricate as other members of the team. We'll get to the bottom of this!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited March 2015

And tonight I have rich icons in the list of credit cards on my iPad. All I did was log in and go to the credit card list. There they were.

Edit: And, a half hour later, they're gone again. This seems really weird.

• Good morning folks. It's so great to see such a passionate discussion about our credit card icons!

The issue is actually a bit more complicated than it might seem on the surface. Please know that this bug is on our list and we will be taking care of it as soon as we can devote the time to fix it properly.

That being said, your discussion here has elevated the priority of this issue internally, so good job!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member

Oh man, and I was hoping to understand why this weird behavior for credit cards, but not logins. Oh well...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2015

@hawkmoth: The short version is that login icons can be downloaded and updated on the fly, since they're just coming from a website; whereas the credit card icons are included with 1Password itself. I'm afraid I don't know the long version including all the gory details.

And while this is a 'cosmetic' issue, know that we find inconsistent behaviour just as irksome. Unfortunately something like this has to take a backseat to a lot of other features and fixes we're working on, but many of us are just as passionate about our icons as the rest of you, so we will see it through. ;)

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

I'm not sure why @brenty you can't grab credit card icons via their site. The favicon for us.visa.com looks like you could use it...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cjbulow: We may indeed decide to do just that. However, the high-res icons we have in the Mac version are tempting as well. ;)

• cjbulow
    cjbulow
    Community Member

I hear you :) Writing huge swathes of code to identify & therefore allocate a generic (but valid) icon to a card number via http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_7812 seems a lot of pain for not much gain.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @cjbulow ,

Thanks for the understanding, and the suggestions! As Brenty mentions above, a lot of us (myself included) really love seeing those rich icons in 1Password, so we will do what we can (swaths of code or not) to have this resolved. :)

This discussion has been closed.